cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siem
Contributor
Message 141 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

20.000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But who likes to celebrate? I'm going for the alternative way. Cheers McAfee

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 142 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

I will be removing all traces of McAfee software from my system in the next few days and choosing alternatives.

I will never use McAfee software again.

blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 143 of 263

Jump to solution

There is something deeply satisfying and rewarding when you remove the buggy big M software.

And a feeling of euphoria as you search your registry for "McAfee" - and zap rogue keys.

And a feeling of total joy as you search from c:\ for "McAfee" - and send all files and folders to digital heaven.

And finally, when your check your Event Log and see no more WFP messages, and those strange "The server <> did not register with DCOM within the required timeout".

...you can relax and feel a little smug.

gbw
Former Member
Message 144 of 263

Jump to solution

blarty-fargo wrote:

And a feeling of total joy as you search from c:\ for "McAfee" - and send all files and folders to digital heaven.

Surely they should go to Digital Hell!

snaffle
Contributor
Message 145 of 263

Jump to solution

blarty-fargo wrote:

There is something deeply satisfying and rewarding when you remove the buggy big M software.

...you can relax and feel a little smug.

Hello Friends and viewers of this thread!

Just wanted to share after nearly a month of removing Mcafee completely from my system, I have not had ANY weird messages appearing in my event viewer, my ATI HD 4650 AGP graphics software has remained intact and operational as well as ATI's CCC Control center.

I have decided to not to even attempt using Mcafee again, even if somehow they come up with some solution to the issues in this thread as it has been well displayed here that many have been waiting for months.

I appreciate all the feedback from all of you who have contributed to the thread as well as the Mods like Tony who had me contribute files for examination and all and hope that those MER files will help for future users of Mcafee products.

Meanwhile for new visitors to this thread, I explained my resolution of successful reinstallation of my ATI graphics drivers and the CCC Control Center for the ATI HD 4650 AGP card in message #186 of this thread.

I used the ATI hotfix package to reinstall my CCC alone and then pointed Windows Hardware Wizard to reinstall my graphics drivers from the original CD that came with the card AFTER a windows update to Net Framework 2.0 repaired the damage that Mcafee did by replacing system files to earlier versions.

I have been happy using MS Security Essentials now as my AV Product and also run Spybot S&D weekly to find a few extra tracking cookies and I must say my system is running smoother and is using much less RAM then when Mcafee AV was installed. (let alone all the other issues).

As of this Friday I will no longer be monitoring this thread via email updates and such, so best of luck to you all..It's time to move on and as BF said above..relax! I was happy to contribute as I could !

Happy Trails from Snaffle!

Peacekeeper
Message 146 of 263

Jump to solution

Just to let you know I went far above the level  where I usually discuss these issues and complained to the high level managers. This issue and others  should I hope now  get some allocation of effort it seems to have been  bogged down  at present.

That or I get the boot.

To those who  Mcafee have lost you are welcome back anytime just check here to see if the current version is ok or PM me and I will be honest with you.

blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 147 of 263

Jump to solution

You mods do a great job with, as it appears, very little support.

Thanks for the offer but I will not be back - it's like watching a guy crawling through a mine field after his legs have been blown off and asking him to have another go once he is in his wheelchair.

You know what - I could post the following into (almost) every thread in this sorry community and it would fit right in...

"McAfee do not care about me. My hopes for any sort of technical feedback, in a reasonable time, are met with "uninstall/reinstall/give us logs". Why won't McAfee actually look at my issue and fix it - like professionals are supposed to do? and other providers actually do!"

Don't worry - this is my very last post - I promise.

I have better things to do in life. Good luck to all you unlucky McAfee users.

Top-tip - get another PC protection solution.

Goodbye all!

mele63
Contributor
Message 148 of 263

Jump to solution

Add me to the list of aggrieved former McAfee Security Center subscribers.

My system is a Dell Dimension DM051  WIn XP MCE SP3.

I've been getting the WFP warnings after McAfee updates beginning on 08-19-2011.  I was prompted to insert original OS software CDs. My PC came from Dell with the OS pre-installed, and I didn't have any CD's to insert.  In hindsight, this may have been a blessing in disguise, as I was able to remedy the problem fairly easily by doing multiple system restores back to 08-18-2011.   I had no driver issues, and I never ran any other AV software or registry cleaners before or after the problems began.

McAfee sent me destructive software updates on 08-19-2011, 08-23-2011, and 09-07-2011.  I was hoping McAfee would correct the problem, but three strikes and you're out.  McAfee was uninstalled this morning, followed with a new Kaspersky subscription.

I found this thread with a google search on 08-19-2011.  It's been interesting to watch the users and volunteer mods make a good faith attempt to diagnose and remedy the problem.  What speaks volumes, however, is the absolute failure of McAfee representatives to step up to the plate on behalf of its customers.  For this reason, I have no regrets with my decision to dump McAfee and forfeit three months of paid subscription.

Yes, I joined here today just to post this message.  My motivation to post is the belief that other subscribers like me will end up finding this thread, and will benefit from my experience, together with the 279 preceding posts .  As I see it, McAfee's software is currently incompatible with certain XP operating systems, and there is no reason to believe that a fix is in sight. 

supergeek
Former Member
Message 149 of 263

Jump to solution

Hi folks. I just wanted to say that I'm having the very same problem being discussed in this thread. 

I agree with the others that the slowness in response time and, even moreso, the fact that this problem has not been resolved, are unacceptable and inexcusable. I have not given up on McAfee yet. I realize they may have their hands full. But my patience with this will only last so long.  Please, McAfee techs, if you're reading this, *fix this problem ASAP*!  I have been a customer of yours for a looong time.  I don't want to have to go looking elsewhere for my protection solution.  But I will if I have to, and I will make sure I take as many people as I can with me.  And I have a lot of pull in this regard. 

Please, please, fix this now.

yippeekaiyay
Former Member
Message 150 of 263

Jump to solution

My subscription will be up soon. I'll likely be canceling auto-renewal and uninstalling once the subscription expires if this isn't fixed by then. I hope the thread isn't ignored because several of the active people suffering from the problem have now dropped the software altogether.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community