cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gvr39
Former Member
Message 121 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

@blarty-fargo

Having the same kind of WFP problems (see my previous posts) I am a "regular" visitor of this thread.

So I know.

gbw
Former Member
Message 122 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

A family friend -a lady "over retirement age" -has a Dell desktop running XP which she uses for emails, internet and so on. She is now plagued with this issue and asking me what to do! It is very problematic to resolve at a distance and because I don't have my "hands on" the pc and despite all your technical discussions it isn't clear whether just removing Mcafee resolves the issue or whether there are really file issues to resolve. What is slightly worrying is that the message is telling her to "insert XP Professional Disk 2" when her system in on XP, not Pro!

This is a real mess, particularly as M is not rushing to sort the problem. I have faced not disimilar issues over M recently not scanning avi files without falling over big time. This has been around since June and doesn't seem to be a priority either. I have had to move one pc onto Kaspersky just so I can scan my avi files. The other two may well follow!

So assuming Mcafee don't resolve this any time soon, if "we" remove the program does the WFP protocol sort the file issues from the cache without further intervention or do we need to play around with an OS disk (and which I suspect it may reject as being "the wrong disk"). Not even sure, because it's a Dell, she has an OS disk.

I dont think there are (yet) any graphics issues. She does, because of poor eyesight, run at fairly low res, so it might not be apparent.

Peacekeeper
Message 123 of 263

Jump to solution

Yep was lazy so went though and grabbed all posts here that mentioned anything tried and sent them to the tech. Siem Pm;d you my email.

siem
Contributor
Message 124 of 263

Jump to solution

So finally.......

Because I'm that kind of person who first must have his computer in a "working" state before doing anything (i.e. answer questions) and above that I'm that kind of person that refuses to give up on nasty driver / OS / Virus Scanner issue's I sorted it out.

Not only to be temporarely up again but (okay, did not had a new McAfee update yet) for me it works. I am up and running on WinXP SP3++(*1), McAfee Antivirus+ runs on the latest version with on access scan enabled, my ATI HD4600 AGP 1 GB works fine (however I'm not a gamer so did not check these borders).

(*1: The first + is for all the applied hotfixes/kb's etc after SP3, the 2nd + is for my way to trick WFP on the ATI driver issue).

Sighhhh.

For now I'm taking a nap and come back to you folks tomorrow. If by any means a roadkill would be my destination before I can answer you....... For the techies on WinXp, AMD Catalyst/ATI drivers and McAfee:

To the McAfee Techies: I do not know why the update of McAfee kicks in WFP but it does. To solve the problem the on-access scanner MUST be disabled.

To the Microsoft techies: In depth knowledge of your beautifull WFP proces shared with us during these months would have been a big advantage.

To the AMD/ATI driver developers: You make beautifull products but integration into an MS WinXP (do not know about the other OS's) OS is crap.

If all the three companies above get their heads together it can be solved in a right (dumb mode on) fool prove (dumb mode off) way.

Good night,

Simon

P.S. What's it worth to you guys (Microsoft/AMD-ATI/McAfee) to get you on track on this ........

siem
Contributor
Message 125 of 263

Jump to solution

Okay, promised you my solution. It's not for the faint hearted but I think for the people who are trusting themselves in what they do and are experienced in technical (Windows) computer stuff it can be done. My solution is written for the ATI HD4600 AGPadapter. I will provide detailedsteps with notes and comments following these.

First of all: After solving the problem yesterday I was confident enough to switch it off, it still works.

Warning!: I do not take any responsibility of the instructions written in this document. You should back-up your computer before applying the instructions and know how to restore this if all goes wrong. Please read and understand the instructions, do not blindly follow them.

I’m an experienced computer technician and I assume that people taking these steps know how to operate a computer and may call themselves experienced on the Windows Xp OS.

My situation:

Computer: MSI NeoV2mainboard (Headstart), Pentium4 3,2GHZ, 2GB RAM, 180GB HDU, ATI HD4600 AGP 1GBdisplay adapter, Hauppage WINTV 150PVR adapter, DVD rewriter, DVD-Reader, WinXPMedia Center Edition 2005 SP3 all hotfixes and KB's applied so up to date.McAfee Anitvirus+ Security center version 11.0.578 (27-08-2011),McAfeeVirusScan version 15.0.291 (31-08-2011), DAT version 6454 (30-8-2011),Startup DAT version 6446.0000 (22-08-2011), Egine version 5400.1158, McAfeePersonal Firewall version 12.0.338 (27-08-2011), McAfee Quickclean and shredderversion 11.0.393 (27-08-2011).

Problem: After restarting computer because McAfee update on 26th of August asked for it, the computer came back in a640x480 4 bits color resolution.

Cause: McAfee update touches system files so Windows File Protection kicks in and reverts drivers (which are good) to the latest version it knows about (in my case those from SP3), are older and do notwork.

Note: Because I’m Dutch I have a Dutch XP installation. I’m not sure if all my translations on buttons, menu’s etc are correct.

1. Make it workable again to take further actions:

Because a resolution of640x480 4 bits is really not workable (windows and window buttons falling ofthe screen without possibility to reach them) first step is to revert the faulty driver to the standard Microsoft SVGA driver. This can be done by uninstalling the driver through display properties.

• Afterlogin on to the system with administrative rights (if you have to do so) wait till it’s completely started.
  • Right-click the workspace and choose properties from the pop-up, the display properties page will be shown.
  • Choose the tab settings, select  advanced.
  • From the shown menu choose the tab adapter,select properties, select the tab drivers, choose uninstall and acknowledge with OK button.
  • The system will de-install the driver and asks you to reboot: Please do so.

At this stage and after reboot the system will come up with the standard Microsoft display driver which is SVGA 800x600 256colors. It’s not the best but at least you can work on your computer.

Please Note!: After restarting probably your computer comes up with the wizard “New Hardware”. Do not touch this wizard, leave it as it is unless you do not rely yourself on the next steps to be taken to have a complete working ATI driver installation again.

If you do not trust yourself in taking the next steps but do not want 640x480 4-bits yust exit the wizard.Your system will be running fine on a resolution of 800x600 256colors with a working Virus scanner.

1. Preparations for fix:
  • Before going further you will need the latest ATI drivers for your system (i.e. XP32bits AGP hotfix for a Radeon HD4600 AGP in my case) from this link:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspxBe sure to choose the right adapter type (i.e. if you have an AGP choose AllHD AGP -> direct link: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/11-8_agp-hotfix_xp32_dd_ccc.exe
    DO NOT INSTALL AT THIS MOMENT
  • DisableMcAfee On Acces scanner through Security Center and choose to never start it again if the system is asking you for how long it should be disabled.
  • Make a backup folder on your harddrive and within this folder create an OLD and a NEW folder.
  • Within both the OLD and NEW folder create 4 sub-folders:
    - Drivers
    - Servicepackfiles
    - System32
    - DllCache
    These folders are necessary for a wayback/forth if something does not going to be as it should.
  • Makea backup of the current situation,ensure that all ati*.* files will be copied(i.e. hidden & system as well):
    Copy all ati*.* files from your windows\system32 folder (your windows folder may be called different) to backup\old\System32 folder.
  • Copyall ati*.* files from your windows\system32\Drivers folder (your windows folder may be called different) to backup\old\Drivers folder.
  • Copyall ati*.* files from your windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder (your windows folder may be called different) to backup\old\ServicePackFiles folder.
  • Copyall ati*.* files from your windows\system32\DllCache folder (your windows folder may be called different) to backup\old\DllCache folder.

• Starting the fix:

In this stage you will reinstall the ATI drivers and after doing that make a backup of all the necessaryfiles in case you have to reapply because you forgot something and WFP kicks inreverting some or all of your work. RememberOn-Access scan should stay turned-of 4ever unless you like repeating yourselfthese steps.

• Startthe downloaded AMD/Ati driver setup-program (Step2 first point) I assume youhave chosen the right one. Choose for advanced, follow the instructions. I did not need to change anything just hitthe next button. During installationyour “New Hardware” wizard (remember?) will disappear automatically.
  • After installing a restart will be asked for, please do so.
  • After the restart you may at first choose your preferred and supported screen resolution through display properties. Relief,everything seems to be back to normal but it is not…… Just do not enable the McAfeeOn-Access scan.

• Back-up the current driver situation:

At this stage we want to make sure the drivers just installed are kept at the backup location, you will need them later.

• Make a backup of the current situation,ensure that all ati*.* files will be copied(i.e. hidden & system as well):
    Copy all ati*.* files from your windows\system32 folder (your windows folder may be called different) to backup\new\System32 folder.
  • Copyall ati*.* files from your windows\system32\Drivers folder (your windows folder may be called different) to backup\new\Drivers folder.

• Apply the back-up to the rightfolders:

Windows File Protection keeps track of changed files through comparing the versions in the DllCache and after that ServicePackFiles folder to the System32 folder and the System32\Drivers folder. If in the last 2 folders mentioned different versions are detected they will be overwritten if WFP is triggered. In the next step I will give instructions on copying the back-up files from step 4 to the right locations. I did this when my computer was running in “normal” windows mode. In “normal” windows mode WFP is guarding System32 & System32\Drivers folder. I took the risk to copy the files in “normal” operating mode and was to quick for WFP. If you do not trust yourself (please observe the system event log during the process) you can start your computer in “safe mode” and do the copy without the danger of WFP reverting your work.

Please obey the order of copying (1st DllCache, 2nd the other location)

• Copy the files from backup\new\System32 to windows\System32\DllCache
  • Copy the files from backup\new\System32 to windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
  • Copy the files from backup\new\System32 to windows\System32 (to be sure, they should be the same)
  • Copy the files from backup\new\Drivers to windows\System32\DllCache
  • Copy the files from backup\new\Drivers to windows\ ServicePackFiles\i386
  • Copy the files from backup\new\Drivers to windows\ System32\Drivers (to besure, they should be the same)

Observe the corresponding back-up new location files with the System32 &System32\Drivers folder during half an hour together with the system event log. If they differ WFP kicked in; Advice: (see above) “Safe Mode”.

• Finally:
  • Restart your computer and look if the display settings stay okay
  • Power/Down and Startup your computer and do the same.
  • Again see the last note in step before, make the compare again. If everything is still the same you should be quite safe at this stage.
  • Enable On-Access scan again
    Arriving at this stage and with the other info gathered on the community Ithougt that it was a good thing to do a hard power cycle at that moment (i.e.Hardware reset/Pull the cord). I thought of this because some people said thatthe SvcHost process was linked to the SFC (System File Comparing tool) onreboot once the computer was ordered to shutdown. The only thing I noticed thatwas that, once rebooted, McAfee On-Access scan was disabled again. You cannottrick the system in this way (I could not).
  • Reboot the system and observe the system event log on Windows File Protection messages. If an ati(*.*) file still is being replaced you missed something (writedown the file and reboot. If once rebooted you have a 640x480 issue start allover again (except for the old situation back-up). This occurs  because only one needed file can make your display adapter fail again. I noticed one WFP message in the system event which said that it could not replace a driver which was detected as different because it (WFP) did not found his original version (driver not signed message, that’s correct, the AGP hot-fix drivers are not signed) (Lucky me, but remember we replaced all the files at the right locations so it was never able to find it anyway).

The first 2 steps from Finally. were merely for me to check if everything staid as it should be. For me it was reassuring that it did.

The above instructions can give you your normal computer operation back. However: Tricking the system this way is defeating WFP which, under normal circumstances, is not necessary.

On the ATI driver install the following can be said: Because the ATI driver install can only be done by it’s own installation program (as far as I know) there must be something lacking in this program that does not create the right files (or pointers to these files) to the right locations so WFP cannot find the right versions when triggered. The ATI drivers cannot be found online by the new hardware wizard (or not the right versions) thus leaving you with this procedure. The same problem with a Nvidia adapter was solved by de-install of the driver as written above and let Windows Hardware Wizard detect the driver on-line.

I do not know in what way the McAfee update has touched the files for WPF to kick in but it did. Even with a future update from McAfee which triggers WFP you should be safe.

Simon

Message was edited by: siem on 9/1/11 5:43:36 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 126 of 263

Jump to solution

Passed onto the high level techs thanks for the time you took.

blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 127 of 263

Jump to solution

Hi all

This issue is 3 months old today.

As a rough guess - how much longer until it is resolved?

Or, how much longer to wait until a tech from McAfee posts something here?

And who was on the grassy knoll that day?

Message was edited by: blarty-fargo on 04/09/11 11:16:11 IST
newjack
Former Member
Message 128 of 263

Jump to solution

We probably have a bettor chance of solving the grassy knoll Question

krisser65
Former Member
Message 129 of 263

Jump to solution

... and how many have given up waiting and found other AV solutions?

(I'm one!)

blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 130 of 263

Jump to solution

Me mate - I gave up after a week.

But I lurk here as, technically, I am still another big M customer.

Pity I can't get a refund for the unused (wasted) part of my subscription.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community