Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Ex Brit I Have A Question

got one of those 30 day subscribtions of macafee total protection 2009,

but it slows my computer down greatly.

i have windows xp service pack 3
2 gigs of ram and 2.4ghz celeron

can i download maybe an older version and use the same 30 day subscribtion

also i like the legacy products better that came with my dell. its simple and it works.
7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

RE: Ex Brit I Have A Question

No that wouldn't be possible I'm afraid. Is this an online subscription or Dell or...? Also did you upgrade from another version.
Plus do you have any other protection software installed?

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center and then click "About" at the lower right and tell me the version numbers of the installed products.
ScarlettJohanso
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

well in 2005 when we got our dell it came with macafee security center. after one year it expired. we were given a chance to update, the only thing i hate about it, it will always ask for a password when you boot up.

well in 2007 i started using the aol web browser and the aol security center that rocked. it came with free virus protection.

well now. i dont have any virus protection at all.

however.

i noticed if i go to your website there i can download macafee total protection. but it is a system hog. how can i parse it down so it does not require so many resources. is it possible for people to keep using legacy products and just keep updateing virus definitions thats what i would do.

heck im using a sonique mp3 player from 2001 just because it is better than media player. all this system intense stuff really ruins the gameing experience.

but i love mcafee products though,
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

When you install Total Protection you can use the "Customize" option near the beginning of the process to only install the components you really need such as VirusScan, Firewall and maybe Siteadvisor Plus. Privacy Service/Parental Controls is optional and that's what makes you enter a password. Do you need that to police the web and how your PC is used?
Also Spamkiller/Anti-Spam is optional, up to you what you install.
With the resources you stated earlier there shouldn't be issues.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

Before re-downloading I recommend you do the following and this may also free up some resources and make it run more smoothly.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
ScarlettJohanso
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

well like i said before i like the legacy version better it was more coherant, i just installed total protection with just the virus scan.

its cool it has the quickclean built into the security center.

also. the thing i just dont like about 2009 it is so slow.

plus the firewall sucks. i will allow stuff access to the internet and then the second i restart it starts asking again for permission. annoying.

the thing i dont like about the legacy version is if you dont install all the componets and keep them updated then your chart reflects poor security performance wich is annoying. i want all my stuff in tip top shape.
ScarlettJohanso
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

the only thing i am concerned about is constant virus protection, expecially that win antivirus xp. that keeps giving all those popups and software passport armadillo. those are the hardest to get rid off.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

What you install is of course your choice. I recommend you install the firewall as Windows Firewall is not perfect by any means, but that is your choice also.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community