cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lewdog64
Former Member
Message 41 of 62

Re: Event ID: Mfehidk & McShield. MVT not working.

I couldnt continue to not allow my backup software to run, so I have uninstalled security center 10 and have installed avast free. If you have a link that I can use to download security center 9 then I will use that, but until then or you get 10 fixed I will have to use avast. I could go back a few months to a another backup, but I'm not prepared to do that at the moment.

dwbeek367
Former Member
Message 42 of 62

I recieve the same, but in contacting Mcafee via online chat those idiots want to un-install/re-install even after I explained I've done that more times than I wanted.  Then they wanted to play with my PC which went no where after 45 minutes.  I pushed to talk to an Engineer, but kept getting others idiots that didn't have a clue.  Hate to sound this way, but if phone support is in place they need to move away from the crib-sheets.  I've been in the arena of computers for decades, and did almost everything except very little programming yet if needed I sat done and did what was needed no crib-sheets.  Phone Support is nothing but minimum wage idiots.  Anyway, it got me nowhere so I restored my image that put me back to 2009 version until someone can explain to me or fix this annoying problem.  Mcafee doesn't seem to understand that this slows the PC or they don't care, not sure.  So if someone finds the answer I will be happy as a flea on a tick...

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 43 of 62

Hey dwbeek,

I'm really sorry you had a bad experience with our support reps. I'll pass your feedback on to management and make them aware. In their defense, we have basic steps we have to verify results from to make sure the issue is what we think it is. I apologize if you felt like we didn't support you well, and will do my part to remedy that.

Did your technician give you a case number? I'd really like to include that in my comments to a manager, so we can take another look at your issue.

MN_Biker
Contributor
Message 44 of 62

I have 3 computers on a home network all with XP Professional. Internet security updates to 2010 all had problems. MVT repaired all the problems like missing files and registry keys. When I run MVT on all machines it now reports there are no problems. Except for one machine has system event warnig:  Event Type: Warning Event Source: mfehidk  Event Category:  (256)  Event ID:  516  Process **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver. It doesn't seem affect the programs functions. It appears to be working fine. I've tested it with virus test files and it is very prompt to quarantine the test file.Although it appears to be working it is very annoying to have the system event log file filled with warnigs. I have uninstalled McAfee several times, manually cleaned out files and registry keys. I have ran MCPR.exe and mvt_en-us.msi several times and re-installed from my account several times. I may have ran all of these at least six times. I still get the warnig in system events.

Event Properties.jpg

System Information

Operating System              : Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build 2600)

Service Pack                     :  Service Pack 3.0

Language                          : 0409

Internet Explorer Version    :  8.0

Internet Explorer Language :  en-us

System Drive Type             : NTFS

Physical Memory Available : 1212812

Physical Memory Total       : 1964528

Virtual Memory Available    :  2056504

Virtual Memory Total          :  2097024

System Architecture          : x86 Family 15 Model 12 Stepping 0AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+

Also during installation I had this warning: Hardware Installation : The software you are installing, Activity Monitor has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify it's compatibility with Windows XP. ( I'll Attach a photo)

Hardware Installation.JPG

I did the install first without installing it and then with , It didn't make a difference. The only reason I can come up with is that the machine I'm having the problem with has many more programs on it and there may be some conflict with one of them. I really don't want to unistall all of them just to find out, but if somebody doesn't have another way, I may have no choice. In the mean time I'll continue to use the product because it is working.

A Short Example of log file:

DateTimeEvent       SourceEvent    TypeEvent     CategoryEvent    IDUserDescription
3/31/20106:12:01 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20106:04:08 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20105:34:44 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20105:12:05 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20105:01:27 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20105:00:55 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20105:00:24 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20104:58:32 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20104:54:37 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20104:52:23 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20104:42:42 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20103:54:15 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20103:18:57 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20103:11:18 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20103:02:21 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20102:23:42 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20102:23:14 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20102:18:59 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20102:17:59 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20101:58:22 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20101:55:42 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20101:48:27 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20101:46:11 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20101:45:38 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20101:40:59 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20101:36:26 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20101:35:19 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.
3/31/20101:34:18 PMmfehidkWarning(256)516N/AProcess **\MCSHIELD.EXE pid (432) contains signed but   untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a   McAfee driver.

I'll be checking back for any suggestions.

dwbeek367
Former Member
Message 45 of 62

I see that you're having these pop in the log every 2, 3, 4 minutes apart, but mine are a second or so apart which slows the PC or causes it to drag while trying to work.  In 3 minutes my log would be soo long with this I stopped counting at 100.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 46 of 62

I'm looking into this for the original poster, but I will include both you and MN_Biker in this as well. Thanks for the extended info MB_Biker, I'll get that looked at and get back to you with anything I find.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 47 of 62

Hey all!

I've been discussing this issue with Tier 3 and dev, and they would like to get some logs. Could one or two of you get a mctrace log and send it to me? Here are the steps, and I'm attaching the tool:

We need user to follow steps below in order:

-          Install McTrace and reboot

-          Recreate the issue at hand

-          Wait for failure plus a few seconds

-          Stop the McTrace.

-          Gather log files

Basically we need McTrace to be running and started the whole time during reproducing the issue. Please post the logfiles to this thread, or private message them to me if you're more comfortable.

MN_Biker
Contributor
Message 48 of 62

SPyron,

I can recreate Event Type: Warning  Event Source: mfehidk   Event Category:   (256)  Event ID:  516 with a right click scan a file every time. I believe the Real-Time Scanner may be causing the random event warnings in the system log.

With Real-Time scanning off it will not recreate the issue.I'll attach log file.

MN_Biker

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 49 of 62

Thanks for the logs Biker! I'll get these to development right away.

Regarding disabling the real-time scanner, I'm not surprised that would stop the issue. That essentially disables the scanner altogether, unless you manually start a scan (called on-demand scanning). One thing you could try would  be disabling Script scanning, but it can be tricky. Try this:

Double-click the M shield

Click Navigation

Click Real-Time Scanning

Scroll down to "Threats" and UN-check "Scripts in Internet Explorer and Firefox"

Here's the tricky part. While this disables the script scanning feature, it doesn't unload the drivers from memory. You actually have to go through a little process to do that. Please let me know the result of trying the steps above. If we need to, I'll PM you the steps to unload the driver and we'll go from there. I'll let you know what I find out from the logfile too.

MN_Biker
Contributor
Message 50 of 62

SPyron,

I've been away for awile so I couldn't get back right away. I have follwed the steps to disabling Script scanning.

Double-click the M shield

Click Navigation

Click  Real-Time Scanning

Scroll down to "Threats" and UN-check "Scripts  in Internet Explorer and Firefox"

I could not recreate the warning by scanning a file But after a reboot it appeared again. So I changed it back.

I guess we go to the next step.

Hope to here from you soon.

MN_Biker

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community