Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 11 of 16

Re: Errors after last program upgrade

You can change the action for some services (but not all services) to 'Restart automatically'. That is certainly helpful, because otherwise you would have to log off and log back on again to make sure that McAfee was running correctly.

With Visual C++ 2010 I get the error messages a couple of times a week. They do not seem to have any effect on the progress of the updates, so for now I'm ignoring them.

I haven't seen the behaviour you describe on the right-click scan, I will try one later and see if it does the same on my system.

mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 12 of 16

Due to a problem with suscription $$$, I had to fully delete and reinstall McAfee.

After some updates trouble free, the errors msg started again.

The error msg always appears between download and update.

What I did not do was to run CCleaner or similar after uninstalling to remove registry dirt, if any.

But it seems that there is something in my Dell that is not happy with McAfee...

mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 13 of 16

I was googling at a friend's and I read that XP Outlook Express can trigger this error. The article did not mention mcafee, but as it checks email programs I did the following:

-I disabled OE using uninstall windows components in the control control panel (I always use webmail).

-Then I opened mcafee antispam settings, changed "move email to antispam folder" to "leave email at inbox" or whatever in english, I'm using spanish version.

Sometimes it helps to re write preferences.

After that I did not get error msg after some updates.

I'm crossing my fingers

mac

El mensaje fue editado por: mac_mdp on 19/04/14 11:37:26 CDT
mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 14 of 16

As I wrote above, I deleted OE but after some updates without problems, the error msg started again.

mac

mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 15 of 16

I tried this and it is working so far.

- Clean w/backup the registry with CCleaner . Opened Regedit to backup registry. Then restarted.

(this step could be avoided as I ran CCleaner before and the error did not go away)

- I logged as admin, pressing F8 at start up to run safe mode.

- Ran CCleaner again in safe mode and cleaned up w/backup more registry entries, included one related to mcafee update. Fool me I did not write the full name.

- Rebooted normally

After a lot of updates no errors.

mac

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 16

I still say the messages are caused by a programming error - and no-one from McAfee has said they're not.

I ran CCleaner to check the registry and it reported 'nothing found' (I haven't tried it in Safe Mode). I still see the messages, although not very often. And they don't seem to have any adverse effects, so I just ignore them.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community