cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SandyDo
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Error message

I keep getting a pop-up "One of your McAfee programs has been updated or installed.  You must restart your computer before you can use Security Center." My McAfee was installed about a month ago de novo.

I have rebooted my Win 7 desktop many times.  I found a thread that had me reset IE8 and did that even though I use Firefox for my default browser.   One posting gave advice that resulted in a person having the OS lock up and he had to re-install the OS, so I am afraid.  Very afraid!  I saw another posting for Vista that I must re-install McAfee and use the dreaded OS-crasher.  Really?

Incidentally, the Virtual Technician keeps telling me that all is well, but it isn't.

How can I fix this problem?  Do I even have protection now?

7 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: Error message

Hi,

Click start - all programs - start up - check and delete if you find $Mcreboot
Restart the computer and open security center

If $Mcreboot is not found , please follow the below;

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100430&lang=en_US&prior_tid=4&AnswerID=16777221&turl...

moving thread to security center 9-2009

Regards,
Dinesh K

on 12/15/09 5:24:36 PM GMT-06:00
MaheshCJ
Contributor III
Message 3 of 8

Hi SandyDo,

If the steps provided above doesn't work. You can also try..

Open Any folder on the computer.

On the Top of the folder Select -> Tools -> Folder Options -> Click on View -> Select Show all hidden files and folders - Click Apply and close the window..

Click start -> All programs -> Right Click on StartUp -> Show for all User accounts.

You will see a file in the startup folder   $McReboot XXXXX $

Right click and delete the file.

Restart computer.

Regards

MJ

SandyDo
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

I tried all of the suggestions listed above and still no luck.

In the one from Mahesh it said to right click and "Show for all User accounts."  That option was not on my right-click, but I tried "Open all accounts" and "Explore all accounts."  I didn't find anything like $McReboot.  I also searched in the search window at the Start menu.

I opened both C:\Users\DonBode\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs but found nothing.

I ran the program TS100430 and it said it was "successful."

Ideas to fix this?

SandyDo
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

I tried all of the suggestions listed above and still no luck.

I ran the program TS100430 and it said it was "successful."

In the reply from Mahesh it said to right click and "Show for all User accounts."  That option was not on my right-click, but I tried "Open all accounts" and "Explore all accounts."  I didn't find anything like $McReboot.  I also searched in the search window at the Start menu.

I opened both C:\Users\DonBode\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs but found nothing.

Ideas to fix this?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Hi sandyDo,

During the last update process, a registry key might remain after the update cycle is complete. In this situation, the update service may continue to request a system restart. Please run the removal tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe  , restart the computer after the removal .

Reinstall you products from your account in  http://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp

Regards,
Dinesh K

on 12/16/09 1:15:21 PM GMT-06:00
SandyDo
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

That program was a disaster.  It locked my system up even after several reboots.  I could not run File Explorer and many other programs.  I had to go to the Safe Mode and go to the last Restore Point.  After that only a few programs gave me trouble.  In both instances, I found that even in Task Manager I could not stop a program.  All I got was a "Wait" cursor when I tried to highlight a non-responding program.   I then went to Control Panel and removed McAfee.  I am debating now about re-installing McAfee.  Once burned...  Can I be sure that I won't waste another four hours with this problem if I re-install?

I saved the error log.  Just now I went to the copy I saved in Word and tried to open it.  I can't open Word!  All I get is "Wait" cursor.

I paid for McAfee, so I hate to spend money on another virus program; however, I am not getting this to work and it is ruining everything.  I may have to reinstall Win 7 OS to recover from this.

Help!

SandyDo
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

I had to reinstall the Win 7 OS.

Every program would lock up showing only the Wait cursor.  I could not even end a non-responding program with Task Manager.  All I saw was a Wait cursor.

Beware of this "fix".  It was a disaster and consumed about 7 hours of my time overall.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community