cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starter_234
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Error Message: "Scan failed to start; result = -2147467259"

Every time I log on to the Security Center screen it says, "system not protected" as a result, I tell it to "Fix it" and it updates. However, under the Computer section, it still says, "Spyware and Potentially Unwanted Program Scanning is disabled". I then manually turned it on. Only to be disappointed when it immediately turns itself back off. I tried this repeatedly with and without an internet connection and it does the same thing. If I try to run a scan of the system, I get the following error message:

"Error-Scan failed to start; result = -2147467259"

I have uninstalled, then reinstalled McAfee Security Center and the result is the same.

I am running a Dell XPS M1530, with Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit), with a duo core intel processor. The computer is two WEEKS old and I'm already having problems.

It all started after I ran an McAfee update and then Internet Explorer began performing rapid popups. I selected the task manager to end task and finally got them to stop. I ran a scan (nothing was found) and then enabled Firewall Lockdown, which stopped all incoming traffic. However, i continued to have the pop-ups. The first pop-ups were of MSN's homepage and after the Firewall was enabled, the pop-ups were of just blank IE screens that said no connection.

I ran the McAfee virtual technician and it said that it couldn't fix everything. I then contacted McAfee via their online chat support and spoke with Klashnara (or something like that) and he gave me a download to fix everything and then ended the chat session. I ran the download and was prompted to restart the computer, which I did. However, nothing worked. All of the previous problems persisted. The pop-ups stopped but McAfee still won't not scan and still says that its not protected. Please help.
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

RE: Error Message: "Scan failed to start; result = -2147467259"

First enable Windows Firewall.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, NOT from any CD that you have.

Windows Firewall should have been automatically turned off during this procedure.
starter_234
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

It worked perfectly! Thank you very much!!! I can't say enough about McAfee, you guys have been very helpful with everything.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

You're very welcome and good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community