cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chiranjeevi1980
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Disk Space use under C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\AMContent\content\avengine\med

Hi There,

I am running McAfee Total Protection.

Recently I have noticed under "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\AMContent\content\avengine\med" McAfee is creationg directories every day with few .dat files and each directory is occupying 50-60 Mb approx disk space.

These directories were created in the following sequence.

1443.0 .... so on.

Each directory contains these three file continusly (with Approx sizes)

medclean.dat - 9mb

mednames.dat - 2.14mb

medscan.dat - 47mb

Every day one directory is being created with addition of above files under each directory.

Previously i noticed Mcafee under "C:\Program Files\Common Files\" took around 5B but that instance i haven't investigated which file system occupied that space. and Done a clean installation to fix.

Now i have been observing about the disk usage and found these "culprits" (may be not).

What are these files and?

Importantly

How to cleanup them so they will not eat my harddisk.?

is only the clean installation is hte solution.?

Message was edited by: chiranjeevi1980 on 12/5/12 11:25:58 AM CST

Message was edited by: chiranjeevi1980 on 12/5/12 11:26:47 AM CST
10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: Disk Space use under C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\AMContent\content\avengine\med

Are you running Total Protection or Total Protection Service (now known as SaaS)?   I don't see such files in my consumer Total Protection.

There is also a chance this is a virus - any other clues as to that?

Try running Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both linked in the last link in my signature below.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/12/12 1:09:06 EST PM
chiranjeevi1980
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Re: Disk Space use under C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\AMContent\content\avengine\med

Hey Brit,

Thaks

I am arunning total protection

SCR2.png

not the Sevice i think,

Later I have noticed

the listed directories were kept as backup for some time and removed ...

So the folder now contained with latest diretories and old directories vanished.

I am not sure this removal happened with "Quick Clean"(That i ran before i have noticed) or automatically.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

OK, have moved this to SecurityCenter.   I think you should contact Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

chiranjeevi1980
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

I have actually contacted technical support before posting this.

Even the technical assistant done all the standard disk cleanup stuff that I(we(advanced users)) will do in routine.

When i explained them about the folder they said they cannot help with it saying it might be necessary data for mcafee to run.

My bad I posted this under wrong thread.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

I did some further digging and  fortunately because I multi-boot all OS's ranging from XP through to Windows 8 I finally found that elusive AMContent folder in my Windows 8 machine running McAfee SecurityCenter 12.1 Beta.    What version of the software are you running?   Open it then click 'About' and post the results.

My entire AMContent folder is only 142mb which is really very little - you say yours is growing?   How big has it reached now?   As far as I know the software stores no more than 30 days-worth of data so there should be a limit to it.   Mind yoiu I don't use Windows 8 much and never run scheduled scans anyway, which could make a difference in my case I suppose.   I also see the folder in my Windows 7 OS using the same version of the software.

Suffice it to say this folder or its contents can not be deleted otherwise the software probably will malfunction.

Meanwhile I will email a contact of mine to ascertain exactly what that folder is but I can't promise an answer before at least Monday.

From your pic above it appears you are using 11.6 so these folders must be new to that edition and above.   I will get back to you on this.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/12/12 6:40:44 EST AM
chiranjeevi1980
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Thanks Brit for taking interest in my case.

As i said earlier the fodler auto deletes the old conent by keeping few directories with in. So I noticed the size gown till 300mb around and again came down to around 180 mb.

As i guess the files cannot be deleted under "Common Files" directory and even it wont allow to do so.. so i understood it is important to keep them but let them auto clean then selves by the application.

So now I feel there is no problem at all.

by the way this is what i got from mcaffe about regarding version.

SCR1.png

And I use Windows 7

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 11

At the moment I wouldn't even try to delete those files as I need to get an answer from my contact regarding this.   But I would imagine it will be possible to delete them if a safeguard built-in to SecurityCenter is turned off.   However we wont try it until I get the go ahead, if I get it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

The files should be left as they are.

It was explained to me as follows:

These files are part of the new VS engine – in essence they function the same as the old engine’s DAT files.

I believe they should only be 2 “deep” – the current version and the one just prior to that.

waldo1308
Contributor III
Message 10 of 11

Any solution for this issue? I have a server with MED 114 files in it. Each is 104 MB. That is total of 12 GB.  doesn't mCafee delete old files?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community