cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marbrien
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Desktop & Task Bar refresh every few minutes after Win 10 upgrade - with loss of focus, ejection from Win Explorer or Control panel

Jump to solution

My AV is McAfee Security Center v 14.0 build 14.0.6212 running on a Dell Inspiron N5040 laptop.  The migration from Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit to Windows 10 Home via online upgrade has been a nightmare.  Prior to the upgrade the laptop had been behaving quite normally. 

The outstanding issue is that every few minutes and without warning the Desktop and Task Bar refresh automatically.  If I am in Windows Explorer or the Control Panel when this happens, I’m ejected.  If I’m in an application, the app loses focus and you lose anything you have just typed.  The laptop is usable, but the problem is very irritating indeed. 

Task Manager showed that CPU usage was momentarily spiking at 100% when these refreshes occurred, but didn’t help at the process level, so I downloaded and ran Process Explorer. This shows that, when these refreshes happen, there are momentary peaks of activity in ShellUI.exe and ShellExperienceHost.exe, the former apparently fractionally ahead of the latter.  I have turned off Cortana and all the other user-adjustable search settings, but it makes no difference.  There appears to be no way to disable these processes.  I do not have the Desktop set to display a slide show, merely a still image.  I have also used a solid colour; no difference.  I do not have iCloud, iPhoto, Aeroglass or Bitdefender, which have been cited by others as culprits for this issue.

The Win 10 compatibility report suggested all would be well, but the upgrade was difficult.  For my first attempt I used the Win 10 upgrade icon in the Task Bar.  I let it run for quite some time but it appeared to have hung.  I then used Media Creation Tool, this got to the end of downloading but announced that it could not perform the upgrade on this particular computer, citing error code 0x80070005 – 09x90002.  Following advice on an MS page, I downloaded the SubInACL Tool and created a Reset.cmd file, which I ran as administrator to fix registry permission errors which can cause this error.  I then ran used Media Creation Tool again and the upgrade completed. However, the screen then started flashing on and off so rapidly (every second or so) that the laptop was impossible to use.  I’m not the only one who has had this, and I discovered the fix was to disable two MS services, ‘Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support’ and ‘Windows Error Report Service’. 

Now I am left with the maddening screen refresh issue, which was not present before the upgrade.  I know others have had this problem, but I haven’t come across a solution.  It may or may not be AV related.  Can anyone help please? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marbrien
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Re: Desktop & Task Bar refresh every few minutes after Win 10 upgrade - with loss of focus, ejection from Win Explorer or Control panel

Jump to solution

Thanks, but an uninstall and reinstall of McAfee had no effect.  What worked for me was to uninstall a program called IDT Audio, which was causing Windows Explorer to crash repeatedly, which was causing the refresh issue.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Desktop & Task Bar refresh every few minutes after Win 10 upgrade - with loss of focus, ejection from Win Explorer or Control panel

Jump to solution

System Upgrades often really mess up security software that's why it's best to remove it until done.  I assume this is the consumer/retail software.

I would uninstall all McAfee software via Control Panel > Programs and Features, then run the MCPR cleanup tool linked HERE , reboot and then reinstall from your online account.

marbrien
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Thanks, but an uninstall and reinstall of McAfee had no effect.  What worked for me was to uninstall a program called IDT Audio, which was causing Windows Explorer to crash repeatedly, which was causing the refresh issue.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Really?  Glad you discovered the cause.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community