Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcreek
Former Member
Message 91 of 95

Re: Desktop Icon still reappears after ver. 11.0.654 install

Jump to solution

I have "Followed the instructions" and "disabled access protection" a half dozen times. Those instructions do not work for me and now I am done.

I appreciate your time.

Thank you

Peacekeeper
Message 92 of 95

Jump to solution

Doug is getting back to me I feel the .reg file is incorrect but he knows more.

By the now done comment does that mean you have uninstalled it? ensure if you did that you followed

This method

I would dare to suggest you then run a mcafee reinstall after running

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

I would expect the reinstall will then work

tcreek
Former Member
Message 93 of 95

Jump to solution

I am still using McAfee Security Center.
By "Done", i mean that I will no longer try to permanently get rid of the Desktop Icon. I will just delete it whenever I am moved to do so.

Peacekeeper
Message 94 of 95

Jump to solution

Doug Might offer to personally help you take it if he offers. we need to get the why yours is not working sorted out

1wolffan
Former Member
Message 95 of 95

Jump to solution

This icon issue has been annoying me for some time too. I just recently finished a full hard-drive wipe, and tried a fresh install after that. The icon issue is still unresolved. A FULL hard-drive WIPE.Think on those implications for a moment.

I'm still going to continue using McAfee, as it's a very good security software. But this silly little icon issue is a source fo constant annoyance for me.

EDIT: Okay now this is just really weird... Right after posting this the first time (deleted and reposted due to spelling, and grammer corrections). McAfee decided to deactivate itself on my laptop. And I can't reactivate it from my account dashboard.

EDIT Again: I retract my full statement, as tech support was indeed able to solve it this time around. But I will leave this thought: I feel for anyone who had/has to deal with that crazy icon issue. I really do.

Message was edited by: 1wolffan on 5/6/12 11:33:01 AM EDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community