cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uwe-dembski
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Deinstalled McAfee total Protection leaves Windows Defender deactivated unter Windows 8.1 professional 64 bit

A few days ago I deinstalled McAfee Total Protection using Windows and the McAfee removal tool due to having probems with MOBK (see under Online Backup in this forum).

After removing Total Protection Windows Defender is not working any longer. It is not possible to start it. Trying to start it, I get the message, Defender cannot be started because it is deactivated.

Trying to start Windows Defender in Services I get the message, the service cannot be started.

This seems to be a little strange, because I made a test installing Avast Antivirus, removed it and using their removal tool and Windows Defender is working fine...

What is happening there?

1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: Deinstalled McAfee total Protection leaves Windows Defender deactivated unter Windows 8.1 professional 64 bit

Try running the MCPR again and reboot and then try to restart it from Control Panel.   It should be able to restart because I've done more or less the same as you several times in my 8.1.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community