Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maeve_l
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Computer not recognising installed software

Hi,

I'm having big issues with my mcafee software, I bought new software in May this year and recently I have been told that my subscription is out of date and that I need to renew. When I check my account online it says that my new software is active but its not being recognised for some reason?

I bought my Dell laptop a number of years back with McAfee included in it and have been renewing this since but have found a cheaper alternative so bought that instead. It has been working since my old subscription ran out end June this year but all of a sudden is not working now. I think that it is also stopping my internet connection from connecting to webpages. There is no issue with the connection itself as I can connect with my phone but it means that I can't log onto technical support to check my system.

I really need help on this please as I can't find a way to contact McAfee technical support without paying a fortune on my phone!

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Maeve.

4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 5

Re: Computer not recognising installed software

So you purchased another licence via the not normal (for you) method? Seems this might not to have been taken up by your account so best to discuss this with Chat via teh technical support page in the useful links tab above.

Ask them to escalate it and remote to your PC. That or a talk re you account settings should sort this out.  When does the account subscrition say it ends?

Re the internet connection --no this I would be worried could be malware. I suggest try a scan with

Getsusp

Fake alert stinger and

malwarebytes they can be found here

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Download the tools on another PC and put them on an usb stick. I would contact chat via it as well rather than your phone.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/08/11 7:36:55 PM
maeve_l
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Hi Peacekeeper,

Many thanks for your reply. I have written to Live Chat and I will be trying out your methods when I get home. Hopefully I will recieve some good news.

You've been a great help/

Thank you,

Maeve.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Hi Maeve,

First of all lets not confuse this to be a malware issue . From your account I do see that you previously had a McAfee security center that you had from Dell and now you have subscribed for a different package . All you have to do is to uninstall security center and install the McAfee total protection since it being a different package.

For your convenience our knowledge analysts have put forth an FAQ to simplify this process , please follow the instructions here and you should be alright.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

Make sure to select McAfee Total protection while you reinstall

Regards,

maeve_l
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Hi Dinesh,

I'll have a go at that later on. Thank you, Its seems so simple now that you say it!

Hopefully something will work!

Cheers,

Maeve.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community