cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cstraley3
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Computer not protected/cannot access Security Ctr

There is a yellow exclamation point on my system try M; rollover says "your computer is not protected"; when I click to open the Security Ctr, I get this error: "One of your McAfee programs has been updated or installed. You must restart your computer before you can use SecurityCenter."

I've run VT Session ID: 17843001 and it indicates there is no problem.

I've deleted the Hackware local; restarted the computer; made sure the System Guard is working; and still no solution.

I've tried the uninstall/reinstall with MCPR; followed all directions and still no solution.

I can't open the security center, so I don't know what version I'm using.

System info: Windows Vista Ultimate; 32-bit; SP-1; 2GB

HELP!
8 Replies
Dennis_Allen
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

RE: Computer not protected/cannot access Security Ctr

when I click to open the Security Ctr, I get this error: "One of your McAfee programs has been updated or installed. You must restart your computer before you can use SecurityCenter."

everytime you try to open mcafee security center, you are getting that msg? if yes, try this..

click start>on the start search box, type mcreboot, then search.

it usually comes up with a $(dollar sign) before it..

once found, delete it. then restart your pc.

after restarting, try to open mcafee again..:)

hope this works,.:)
cstraley3
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

No result

Thanks for the reply, but nothing showed up when I searched for mcreboot. And, yes, I get that message when trying to open any aspect of McAfee. Any other ideas?
rahulkumar
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

RE: Computer not protected/cannot access Security Ctr

rahulkumar
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Reboot PC message

Try the below FAQ.

Make sure you are taking a back up of registry prior to delete the key mentioned in FAQ.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100430&lang=en_US&prior_tid=4&AnswerID=16777216&turl...
cstraley3
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Computer crash

Did this. Now OS won't load even in safe mode. Need help desperately. Functioning from my cell phone. Any help is greatly appreciated.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 9

RE: Computer crash

Are you getting any error message?
What does the screen look like when it fails to boot?

Is this a laptop or a desktop?
cstraley3
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Computor Info

Desk top. OS is Vista ultimate.

No error. Tries to load windows and it freezes to a black screen. In safe mode it sticks on windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys. Then goes to black screen. CPU power remains on.

F8 menu does not give options for last known successful configuration.

Thanks for your help.
cstraley3
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

Reinstall

Sorry to double post, but here is an FYI for anyone with the problem I had:

The advice given by the McAfee technician, and the instructions given by the McAfee website FAQ's, was devastatingly incorrect. Hours and hours of trying to get McAfee to take responsibility and help me with the issue, failed.

Upon advice from Dell and Microsoft, I had to reinstall the OS. I would have lost all my files, but had an external hard drive to back everything up onto.

At worst, I could have lost everything; at best, I was without my computer for almost three days. All due to bad advice and worse instructions from McAfee.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community