cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kkellerhals
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Computer is not protected - Security Center screen is blank

McAfee tells me that my computer is not protected. When I open the seucrity center I get a blank screen. When I check my subscription it is ok. When I check for new updates, I get a blank security center, when I want to download and install again from the Internet, the process does hang.

When I boot the computer, the McAfee icon is ok for soem time and only then it will show the exclamation mark. I guess there is somewhere a conflict rather than a virus.

Anybody any experience?
Tags (1)
9 Replies
Dennis_Allen
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

RE: Computer is not protected - Security Center screen is blank

you have XP or Vista?

did you happen to install internet explorer 8 beta 2?
if yes, uninstall that. (IE7 will still be there)
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

if you are using IE7

Hi,

sorry to butt in... however if you are alraedy using IE7 try this...

1. open internet explorer
2. click on tools and choose internet options
3. in the internet options window go to content tab
4. disable content advisor

check mcafee if it opens up normally... hope this helps... happy
kkellerhals
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

RE: if you are using IE7

Replacing IE 8 Beta by IE 7 helped to display the security center and it also started to display a worm and a trojan. However it still tells me that I'm not fully protected. Opening the Security center asks me to click fix to update the virus definition file. And then.... nothing happens.
Reinstalling from the webpage doesn;t work. After clicking download, I should get a box where I click run. But I get to a page error....
Parmesan
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I also get this problem and funnily enough I have just downloaded IE8 Beta which is a vast improvement on IE7 and I don't WANT to remove it.

Surely there must be a better solution than that!
Dennis_Allen
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

McAfee does not test or support third-party beta software used in conjunction with McAfee products. By definition, beta software is still in a limited-release or testing phase and often has limited or no support even from the manufacturer. Most manufacturers state that beta software is used at your own risk.

McAfee can only offer support regarding the proper functioning of our products. McAfee cannot guarantee that issues related to how third-party beta software interacts with McAfee products can be resolved. In these circumstances, the beta software may need to be uninstalled.

reference: click here!
kkellerhals
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

I did go back to IE 7 and I can now open Mcafee security center but on the tray icon it still says 'you are not protected'.
Scan is still working and updater is also working. Only once the update shoul be installed there is an error message.
I probably should de-install Mcafee but since I always get an error message when I try to download Mcafee again, I'm not too keen to do so....
Is there something in the registry left behind from IE 8 beta?
Dennis_Allen
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

what is the error msg?

can you also try running the Mcafee Virtual Technician and post the session ID here..:)
kkellerhals
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Will do after my holiday Thanks for the quick reply
kkellerhals
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

The error message is 'an error occured while updating. Please reinstall these programs: McAcree VicursScan Plus

Starting the virtual technician doesn;t work. I get to the first screen where I have to click next but I never get the following box
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community