cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KLINK1
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Cannot shut down Real-Time Scanner

I am able to shut down all McAfee services except Real-Time Scanner using either Computer Management-Services or msconfig. When I try to shut down RTS, I get an error message telling me that I need to log on as an administrator.

I am logged as the administrator. It is the ONLY account I have. I am running XP-MCE.

How do I get RTS to stop?
Tags (2)
7 Replies
silverhawk
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

RE: Cannot shut down Real-Time Scanner

Why do you want to do it??? Strange..!! If you want to turn off McAfee real time scanner than turn off in computer and file setting in McAfee security center... But it is not recommended...
KLINK1
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

I am doing some video rendering and I do not want anything running in the background. I did turn it off in computer and file setting, but it just re-starts itself.
silverhawk
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Select the option "at computer restart" while turning off virus scanner, so when you restart your computer next time, McAfee will start it's mcshield service...so you can have your work done till then.
KLINK1
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for trying.

The problem is that it will not shut down. I even selected Never and it still keeps coming back.
silverhawk
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

It cannot come back on it's own.. well while turning off realtime scanner, turn off spyware and system gaurd also..if u want to turn McAfee off..!! But that is not recommended..
KLINK1
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

I shut down everything including spyware and system guard. You say it cannot come back on on its own, but it does. I used Task Manager to shut it down after Security Center would not shut it down and less than a minute later it started back up again.
silverhawk
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I did with my McAfee installed..and it did not turn on itself...I can't tell what would be the reason behind it..
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community