Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rahulsingh
Contributor III
Message 11 of 18

Re: Cannot reinstall Mcafee after update and now cannot get online at all

looeess wrote:

In order to access anything on my PC I have to work through a second User Account in Windows XP.

That is good news, it means ur OS is fine, just your account is damaged.

Try this.

restart the computer in safe mode

login into your account,

click on start

click on run

type in msconfig in run

click on services tab

***Important Step

select hide all microsoft services option at the bottom,

hit the disable all services option to the right

click on the start up tab

hit the disable all button on the right

select apply and ok

Also download and try to run this tool. IeRegFix.bat

worst case uninstall the current version of Internet Explorer.

Also download and run MalwareBytes.

looeess
Former Member
Message 12 of 18

Thanks, tried this out this afternoon.

I managed all the steps just fine - no errors or anything.  However, something is blocking me from going online.  I've tried both IE and Firefox and I just get "cannot find page/cannot find server" screens.

Both IE and Firefox now automatically open with the "work offline" option automatically ticked - which is new.  I never had that as a setting.  Although unchecking it doesn't make any difference.

I ran the Networks Diagnostic for Windows XP to check the connection and it tells me "there may be a problem with your modem/cable.  Switch it off/on and try again".  Which I do with no results, nothing seems to work.  Also I get a runtime error part way through the diagnostic regarding "xpnetdiag.exe".

I will try and test the cables etc.   Is there a virus that can have this effect on a PC?  Or is this just problems with my system?

Message was edited by: looeess on 28/12/09 08:53:06 CST
rahulsingh
Contributor III
Message 13 of 18

Yes it might be a virus that is blocking the connection at this point but i suggest contacting your ISP to check if they can reset something to fix the internet problems...

sometimes they can help with that type of a problem.

looeess
Former Member
Message 14 of 18

Thanks for all the advice.

I've had some progress since my last message.  I can now get online ok.  My original XP User Account seems to be back in action.

I have been manually checking through a lot of the system files and cleaning the PC up as far as I am able to.

On carrying out system checks I am continually getting messages re McAfee Virus Scan being corrupt and unreadable.  So I manually looked through my PC files and located all remaining McAfee files and folders.  I had already run the McAfee Removal Tool, and so decided to manually delete all remaining files and folders.

I have managed to delete all folders except the MCLOGS folder.  When trying I get the following two error messages:

"Cannot delete VirusScan: The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable"

"Cannot delete L: Cannot find the specified file.  Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction of what to next.

Thanks a lot.

looeess
Former Member
Message 15 of 18

Hi.  Is anyone able to help me with this?

I cannot reinstall McAfee until I remove these corrupted elements of the original download.  I re-ran the McAfee Removal Tool today, which said it had completed...but the McAfee/MCLOGS folder is still on my hard drive....and still telling me the files are corrupt.

Any thoughts on how I can get these cleared so I can reinstall McAfee?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 16 of 18

Hi,

Restart the computer in safe mode and navigate to the folder and try to delete it,

If your unable to delete the folder, renaming it would do that and then start installing mcafee  again.

Regards,

Dinesh K

looeess
Former Member
Message 17 of 18

Yes.  That seems to have worked.  I now have McAfee back in place.

Although I couldn't delete the files, I did rename them.  This has obviously let me install McAfee, which is great.

I have attempted a few system cleanups, one of which was to run the defragment tool.  This didn't work because of the corrupt files.

Any tips on getting around this part?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Message was edited by: looeess on 22/01/10 09:52:19 CST
Dinz
Former Member
Message 18 of 18

That's not a problem as during installation, it would cleanup the old files. You should be only concerned if at all the security center interface gives you any errors.Do report if you have any issues.

Thanks,

Dinesh K

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community