cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
looeess
Former Member
Message 1 of 18

Cannot reinstall Mcafee after update and now cannot get online at all

After the latest update by McAfee my desktop completely crashed.  I could not get online to try and fix the problem or get help.

I finally managed to get online by creating a new User Account in Windows XP.  I logged into my McAfee account and, as advised by the website, ran the removal tool and tried to reinstall my McAfee susbscription.

At first the download seemed to work, then a few screens into the process it simply hung at the "collecting information" screen.  I can't get it to go further than that.

So now my PC is without virus protection, and subsequently I keep getting Windows messages that it is now infected.  I cannot use my browser AT ALL now and cannot get online.

I am now having to use my father's laptop to get online.  Please advise how I can fix this.

17 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 18

Re: Cannot reinstall Mcafee after update and now cannot get online at all

Hi,

Try the following steps :

Restart the computer and start tapping the F8 key,
From the screen that appears select Safe mode with networking and try downloading McAfee .

Regards,

Dinesh K

looeess
Former Member
Message 3 of 18

Thanks.  Have now done this.  Still having problems though.

My desktop is still not working - I am shown the Active Desktop Recovery message instead of my background.  Nothing I do makes this go away.

I am constantly getting messages re memory usage e.g. The instruction at 0x00ec9b92 referenced memory at 0x0000001.  The memory could not be written.

Although I now have McAfee reinstalled there are a couple of issues.  On trying to run the scan, the program scans 25 items and then stops once it begins scanning the mcmscsvc.exe program.  It will not continue beyond this point.  Also the main page alternates between telling me it is all up to date, and telling me it needs fixed.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 18

Hi,

There are chances that the installation might have not been succesful.
Unistall Mcafee completely, even files and folders from C:/program files and common files
Perform a system Restore to a previous date before the actual problem occurred,
And then reinstall Mcafee . This might get some progress .

Regards,
Dinesh K

on 12/16/09 2:19:20 PM GMT-06:00
looeess
Former Member
Message 5 of 18

Thanks.  Have tried uninstalling/re-installing.  It didn't work.  I can always try again.

System restore is not working.  I can bring up the dialog box and select a restore point, but nothing happens after that.  None of the on screen buttons do anything.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 18

May I know how old is the computer ? And  did we have any trojan infections in the computer previously (annoying pop ups while browsing the internet )

Regards,
Dinesh K

looeess
Former Member
Message 7 of 18

Thanks.  PC is about 7-8 yrs old, running Windows XP.  No virus as far as I am aware.

simemm
Former Member
Message 8 of 18

hi,

I had similar problem with the new update, after installation I couldn't get online anymore. The problem was that the new firewall blocked the internet connection. So I shut down Mcafee's firewall and it worked. The problem is now I need to find a solution for it, can anyone help me?

With regards.

rahulsingh
Contributor III
Message 9 of 18

In most likely hood the virus infection is probably blocking you from connecting to the internet.

I would suggest the removal of the infection before proceeding any further.

try the following and check if you can connect to Internet.

click start - run - type inetcpl.cpl - click ok - that should bring up Internet options

click the security tab - at the bottom select reset all zones to default level

click the privacy tab - ensure that the slider is set to medium

click on the connections tab - select the lan settings option - ensure all options in this new window are unchecked. - click ok to return back

click advanced tab - select the restore advanced settings option - go through the list and find "enable 3rd party browser extensions" - uncheck this option

select apply and then click Ok

retry connecting to the Internet using Internet explorer.

If you are able to connect to the Internet try running a application like MalwareBytes and see if you can remove the infections.

Also restore the McAfee Firewall to defaults incase McAfee firewall is the problem here. Click here for instructions on restoring the firewall.

Also you mentioned Active Desktop. To disable the active desktop follow instructions here.

looeess
Former Member
Message 10 of 18

Thanks.  No luck in trying your suggestions.

Following your instructions, as soon as I click on the Connections tab I get the following message "An exception occurred while trying to run "Shell32.dll, CONTROL_RunDLL "C:\windows\system32\inetcpl.cpl",".  I can't get any further than that.

Also, trying your instructions re the Active Desktop.  I can't get any of these to work.  Right-click on the desktop does nothing.  I click Start-Control Panel and nothing happens.  The same with trying to access My Computer.  I can open the task manager using CTRL-ALT-DEL, but trying anything else the system freezes.

In order to access anything on my PC I have to work through a second User Account in Windows XP.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community