cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GG_Tanzania
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Cannot download 3-users Total Protection

I purchased in May this year the 3-Users McAfee Total Protection and installed the product on 2 computers as I was waiting a piece of hardware to install it on my third computer.

We left for a month. When coming back, McAfee would not update on the two computers where it was installed and a message was saying to reinstall the product. Then, problem started:

1. Download of DMSetup.exe: at the end of the download, message “Cannot execute file C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSC\mcshell.exe. Cause: The system cannot find the path specified.”
2. After several attempts, running the removal tools, etc, the DMSetup.exe is downloaded and the window [McAfee product installation, status: downloading compatibility checker] appears and the download starts (total size: 56866.48 KB). After downloading some data (size varies), the size downloaded restarts to a lower number several times and then I get either this message: “McAfee Integrated Security Platform Installer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you are in the middle…….etc….)” or this one: “Cannot execute file C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSC\mcshell.exe. Cause: The system cannot find the path specified” or finally this one that comes up more frequently “Installation cannot continue – We’re having trouble installing your McAfee software (download error: 7305). Here are some things you can do to fix this: Try downloading the files again
Well, I tried….. no success!

Virtual technician has been run, as well as the Pre-install and MC removal tools.

For your information, the product was installed on the 3rd computer (although after several attempts) after a clean install of Windows XP.

Thank you
Gerard
11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

RE: Cannot download 3-users Total Protection

So you are OK now? From what you say above I'm not sure whether or not you finally got it to install.

These things happen sometimes with servers acting up or a dodgy connection but usually clear after a while.

By the way, just in case that 3rd computer is not yet fully updated to the latest service pack this may help: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807
(SP3 contains all previous updates & service packs).
GG_Tanzania
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Hello Peter
Thanks for your answer and sorry for the initial double posting.
Actually no, it's not ok. Only one computer is running McAfee Total Protection (the one with a clean XP install. I've been trying all day to install the product on the other 2 without success. What worries me the most is that the size downloaded [when downloading compatibility checker] restarts to a lower number several times before getting this windows saying "We’re having trouble installing your McAfee software (download error: 7305). Here are some things you can do to fix this: Try downloading the files again".
For example, the downloaded size reaches 2300kb and suddenly dropped back to 766kb, goes up again, drop again, and then I get the error window described above. Any idea?
FYI, all machines are running XP SP3 and IE8.
Thanks for your help and time.
Gerard
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 12

Is this any help? http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100590&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777216&turl...

In there whatever is said about IE7 would also apply to IE8.
GG_Tanzania
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

Peter, will try this tomorrow and will keep you posted - Gerard
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 12

OK good luck.
GG_Tanzania
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

Peter Hi,
I did try your suggestion but didn't work. Also in the mean time I contacted Support and they send me the following instructions. While the problem persists, I thought that this might be of some help for users experiencing similar problem. It seems I cannot send you their attachment [hosts file in step 4], but if you need it, just advise on an alternate solution that will allow me to send it to you.

"The possible causes of this issue are:

1. Issue caused by temporary file in your computer.
• Clearing temporary files and cookies should resolve this.
2. Issue caused by incorrect settings in Internet Explorer.
• McAfee uses the settings of Internet Explorer to connect to Internet. Correcting the settings will solve this.
3. Some other software or Windows Firewall is blocking McAfee from accessing the internet.
• Uninstalling all other security software and disabling Windows Firewall should solve this.

All the steps to be followed are given below.

Step 1: Uninstalling third party security software and disabling Windows Firewall.

If you have any third party security software like Norton, AVG, and Spy Sweeper, Symantec Live Update etc. installed in your computer, please uninstall it. If any such programs are present, it can cause incompatibility with McAfee product.

Disable Windows Firewall:

1. Open Control panel.
2. Open Windows Security Center.
3. Click on ‘Windows Firewall’.
4. Turn it off.

Step 2: Please update Windows.

Step 3: Please install MSXML 3 and 4 versions from the below link. MSXML 3.0 and MSXML 4.0 are basic requirements for the 2008- 2009 versions of McAfee. So you need to install it.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100495&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777218&turl...

Step 4: Replacing the hosts file with a healthy one.

1. Save the attached file on your desktop.
2. Please hold Windows key in the keyboard and press 'R'.
3. In the Run field, type ‘drivers’ without quotes and click ‘Ok’.
4. The drivers window will open now.
5. Open the “etc” folder in the drivers window.
6. Copy the hosts file saved in the desktop and paste it in the etc folder. You will get a prompt to replace the file. Please click ‘Replace’.
7. You may receive a warning from Windows Defender also. If you get the warning, please click ‘Allow’.

Step 5: Removing the current McAfee product from the computer through Control Panel.

1. Double click on My Computer.
2. Double click on the Control Panel.
3. Double click on Add/Remove Programs.
4. Check for any McAfee program.
5. If you find any McAfee program; click on remove to uninstall it from the computer.

The basic cause for the issue will be; there are remnants of previous McAfee product in your computer. Running the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR.exe) and deleting the files and folders of McAfee should resolve the issue.

1. Remove the remnants of McAfee from your computer.
• Click on the below link and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool. Run the tool only if you had McAfee before. If not, please proceed to the next step.
o http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
• Restart the computer.

Step 6: Deleting temporary files and cookies and correcting the settings. Temporary files can interfere with the installation and may cause the installation to fail.

1. Please hold Windows key in the keyboard and press 'R'.
2. In the Run field, type %temp% and click Ok.
3. The temp window will open now.
4. Try to delete all the files in that window.
5. Leave those file that you are not able to delete.

2. In the Run field, type prefetch and click Ok.
3. The prefetch window will open now.
4. Try to delete all the files in that window.
5. Leave those file that you are not able to delete.

Delete cookies:

2. In the Run field, type inetcpl.cpl and click Ok.
3. The internet properties window will open now.
4. Click on general tab.
5. Please click the "Delete Cookies" and "Delete Files" buttons.
6. Click on Ok.

Step 7: Configure Internet Explorer Settings.

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click the ‘Tools’ menu and select ‘Internet Options’.
3. Click the ‘Advanced’ tab.
4. Check mark the option “Use SSL 3.0”.
5. Uncheck the option “Check for server certificate revocation”
6. Click on general tab.
7. Please click the “Delete Files" and “Delete Cookies" buttons.
8. Click “Content” tab.
9. Click “Disable” under content advisor. (Leave it if it shows “Enable”)
10. Now click on ‘Connections’ tab.
11. Delete all the connections that you don’t use; from the list under “Dial-up and Virtual Private Network Settings”.
12. Now click on ‘LAN Settings’ at the bottom.
13. Uncheck all the check boxes in the ‘Local Area Network Settings’ window. It is recommended that you note down the settings before making any change. If you face any connectivity issue after making this change, please change it to original settings.
14. Click on Ok icon.
15. Click Apply.
16. Click Ok.
17. Close all Internet Explorer windows.

Please run the IERegFix.bat tool to fix common errors with Internet Explorer. The link to the tool is: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/IERegFix.bat

Please do the following steps to download McAfee program.

1. Close all open windows.
2. Please go to http://us.mcafee.com
3. Click on ‘My Account’.
4. Enter the email address, and password you originally registered with McAfee and click Log In.
• If you forgot the password, please click on “Forgot Your Password?” option and enter the necessary details. The password will be sent to your E-Mail.
5. From the list under “My Protection Products”, find your McAfee product, 3-User McAfee Total Protection and click the Download button with a downward arrow inside the Download box.
6. Please click on ‘I Agree’ under the end user license agreement.
7. On the next page click on ‘Download’.
8. You will get a prompt to ‘Run’ or ‘Save’ the file.
9. Select ‘Run’. You may have to click ‘Run’ twice.
10. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the download and installation of your McAfee product.

If still you are getting the same error message, please reset the Internet Explorer and try downloading.
Note: Resetting Internet Explorer will reset it to the factory settings. All user installed toolbars and add-ons will be disabled. Resetting is required because; the add-ons and toolbars can change the way in which Internet Explorer connects to the Internet.

• Close all Internet Explorer windows.
• Please hold Windows key in the keyboard and press 'R'.
• In the Run field, type inetcpl.cpl and click Ok.
• The Internet Properties window will open now.
• Click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
• Click ‘Reset’ at the bottom.
• Now run the McAfee Download Manager again."
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

Thanks for posting it. The hosts file is something that support only should be handing out so I don't need it.

You say "While the problem persists" - isn't it fixed?
GG_Tanzania
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Nope - still same error message - I will wait for support to see if they have a solution. I might have something on these two computers that prevent the install since I managed to install the Total Protection on the 3rd computer that had only windows xp (clean install on new hard drive) and SP3 installed. Let's wait and see.....
Cheers - G
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Please run the McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) and post the MVT ID number in your next post.
The link for the MVT is http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/mvtinstaller.asp

more over what type of connection do you have on this machine..

Also include the list of the installed security application on the machine( if any were removed.. how)
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community