Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kentuckygin
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Cannot access Security Center on admin acct

Jump to solution

Windows 7/Security Center 11.6

I have an admin account and a user account, both password protected.  I run on the user account and have no problems there.  If I log onto the admin account and attempt to open the Security Center, either by double clicking the taskbar icon or from the Start menu, the icon disappears and mcagent.exe no longer appears in Task Manager.  If I log off admin, log back onto the user account, the taskbar icon is there and mcagent.exe is running.  If I then log back onto the admin account, same thing...Security Center icon is there and mcagent.exe appears in Task Manager.  But again, if I attempt to open Security Center, it disappears.  Inconvenient  because I need to reschedule the scan, and I can only do that via the administrator's account.  Help.....

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cannot access Security Center on admin acct

Jump to solution

Whilst in the Admin account download the Virtual Technician to see if it can find and fix anything.

htttp://mvt.mcafee,com/    run it twice if necessary.

If that doesn't help follow the instructions here:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331 whilst still logged into the Admin account.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Whilst in the Admin account download the Virtual Technician to see if it can find and fix anything.

htttp://mvt.mcafee,com/    run it twice if necessary.

If that doesn't help follow the instructions here:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331 whilst still logged into the Admin account.

kentuckygin
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Bless you, Ex_Brit!  You're a gem.  Had to run it three times to fix three issues, but it worked.  Problem solved.  Thank you muchly!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

That's great, glad to help.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

This is the known problem where mcagent only works in the first-logged-into account in a UAC setup. I still have the problem, does this mean MVT somehow incorporates a fix?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

I guess it must have it.

kentuckygin
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

The problem is more than a little scary since not only does the Security Center crash, it takes the firewall down with it, too.  Woe unto the person who doesn't know where to come for help.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Are you sure the firewall isn't working in the user account where mcagent isn't running? I checked this on XP (where mcagent showed as running in the Admin account but not in the User account). Calling up Windows Security Center to check for firewall status in the User account, it said the McAfee firewall was operational.

MVT needs to be run in each of the 4 operating modes to check for problems -

- Admin account in use but no user account active

- User account in use but no Admin account active

- Admin account opened first and dormant, User account opened subsequently and now active

- User account opened first and dormant, Admin account opened subsequently and now active

So far I've only run MVT in mode 1, and it found nothing much wrong there.

kentuckygin
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Yes, I'm sure.  After I clicked on the McAfee icon in the task bar and it disappeared, I got a MS security popup warning me that neither the virus protection program nor the firewall were operational.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

I'll keep running the tests and see what turns up, if anything. This is definitely a bug related to UAC, which I suspect is fixed in release 12.1 (we're both running 11.6).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community