Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KalandraJane
Former Member
Message 11 of 25

Re: Cannot Activate - Dell/McAfee Preinstall

Thanks very much, I appreciate it.

It really does feel like that - I can't understand why it won't connect, it seems like a communication issue between the McAfee program installed on my computer and the McAfee servers, but the various fixes they have for that (script editing etc.) haven't worked. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 25

OK, let's hope someone has a brainwave.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 25

KalandraJane wrote:

Thanks very much, I appreciate it.

It really does feel like that - I can't understand why it won't connect, it seems like a communication issue between the McAfee program installed on my computer and the McAfee servers, but the various fixes they have for that (script editing etc.) haven't worked. 

While waiting for someone from McAfee to come along, how do you connect to te internet?  Is it via a proxy by any chance if so is that password-protected?

Also what is your operating system and service pack and what version of Internet Explorer do you use (Help/About)?

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 14 of 25

Hello Kalandra,

Gone through the entire thread, I would request you to click on the Useful Links on top of this page and contact our Customer Service team for this issue. Since it’s a preinstalled program from Dell you may need to give them your Dell Customer ID, Order Number and Dell Service Tag, so that they shall check with your Dell account online.

Once they are able to locate your account information I’m sure you will be able to install your programs directly from the McAfee website without using any Key/issues.

Message was edited by: Aldrin on 2/2/11 6:26:15 AM IST
KalandraJane
Former Member
Message 15 of 25

It's mobile broadband, with a dongle.

OS is Windows 7 Home Premium with explorer 8 (I think)

KalandraJane
Former Member
Message 16 of 25

This is the problem; Dell in the UK now sell in the shops not just through their own outlets. The computer was bought as a gift for me, off the shelf in a supermarket. It's basically totally anonymous - I don't have any McAfee or Dell accounts, customer information or order numbers. I do have the service tag on the bottom of the computer so hopefully this can help, but so far three different McAfee customer service reps have failed to resolve the issue.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 25

A wireless connection, thank you.  Did you contact Customer Service as Aldrin advised?

According to the link above under Useful Links (or McAfee Support) the UK contact is..

Telephone Customer Service

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call 020  79490107. You may be asked for your registered email address and order  number. Telephone charges may apply.
Estimated wait time: 10-30 minutes
Hours of Operation: 09.00-18.00 local, Monday through Friday

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 25

KalandraJane wrote:

This is the problem; Dell in the UK now sell in the shops not just through their own outlets. The computer was bought as a gift for me, off the shelf in a supermarket. It's basically totally anonymous - I don't have any McAfee or Dell accounts, customer information or order numbers. I do have the service tag on the bottom of the computer so hopefully this can help, but so far three different McAfee customer service reps have failed to resolve the issue.

Sorry, catching up on my email notifications and missed this one.  Aldrin, any ideas?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 19 of 25

Hi Kalandra Jane,

Can you please click on my avatar image and send me a private message with you dell service tag so that we could hopefull find some information from that . Adding to that you can send me any order no for the computer if you have or else the dell service tag should do it.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 25

kalandraJane, just a thought. If your Dell PC was bought from a supermarket in the UK you may be covered by UK consumer protection legislation. Bearing that in mind, if you contact the Head Office of the supermarket chain - or even find the manager of the store where it was bought - you can make a complaint that they are selling goods which are defective - no CD, no account information, no way to activate your McAfee subscription. I'm pretty certain that having a major customer raise your case with Dell would make Dell sit up and take notice.

There's also the option of writing to Dell UK to complain. If it's received in the post at Dell it's less likely to disappear into a black hole than if you email. The address is Dell House, The Boulevard, Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1LF. If you were also seeking assistance from the supermarket chain, you could state this in your letter to Dell.

I'm assuming you have already done your best to get satisfaction from Dell themselves, but if you go here you can email Tech Support : the first thing they ask for is the Service Tag, which from the sounds of it is the only information you have to go on.

The same page has options for phoning Dell Tech Support but if you do so they will want you, first, to have the Service Code ready. I hope you're good at hexadecimal :

An Express Service Code is simply a mathematical conversion of your System Service Tag into a purely numeric format allowing for easy entry into Dell's automated call-routing system.

Better to click on the "Find My Express Service Code" link, which leads you off into another diversion. When you return, you're faced with a choice of 0844 numbers. Be warned, if you don't already know : these are high-priced calls, not covered (as I found out) by the calling plans of most phone companies. You don't want to spend forever waiting on the line for someone at Dell to not help you. One of those numbers is for something called "Solution Station" which will sting you for £19. I don't think you want or need that.

The service contracts page contains the unhelpful line :

"Please refer to your invoice to verify which of these service contracts is applicable to you"

If your PC came off-the-shelf you probably have to guess. I'd guess lowest-benefit service contract here, which is Basic ("Standard") Service, only available for Dimension, Inspiron, and Studio models.

Finally, if you're intending to take this up with Dell you'd better read through their Terms and Conditions - the lawyers have been busy there, you'll notice. Get-out clauses everywhere.

And finally finally, good luck. If this is any help to you, I'll be happy.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community