Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kevin1991
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Cannot Access Firewall Settings

Jump to solution

A couple of months ago Mcafee Security Center pretty much blocked me out of accesing my firewall options. The normal way to change or configure my firewall options would be by:

>Clicking home in top left corner

>Clicking "Fiwewall" tab.

>Clicking "Settings," and then accesing firewall security levels, allowing/blocking ip's and programs, etc.

But now whenever I click the "Settings" option, the only options it allows me to change is to turn the firewall "On" or "Off", or to "Restore Defaults". Its incrediblty frustrating and it completely hinders any firewall access I would've had on my PC, considering Mcafee is controlling what Windows Firewall normally would. I have Windows 7 64-bit if it affects anythiong, and any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. (On or off, the firewall options are unavailable)

Firewall Issues.jpg )

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Deepu_S
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Re: Cannot Access Firewall Settings

Jump to solution

Hi,

Kevin please try to reinstall McAfee. Click here to get the steps to uninstall and reinstall McAfee.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Deepu_S
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Step 1 - Disable Access Protection

1. Double-click on the M Icon.
  2. Click Navigation in the top, right corner.
  3. Select General Settings and Alerts.
  4. Open the Access Protection drawer.
  5. Remove the check beside Use Access Protection.
  6. Click Apply

Step 2

1. Navigate to the folder below:

C:\ProgramData\McAfee\HackerWatch\Data

2. Delete all the files inside the Data folder.
  3. Restart your computer.

Step 3 - Enable Access Protection

1. Double-click the M Icon.
  2. Click Navigation in the top right corner.
  3. Select General Settings and Alerts.
  4. Open the Access Protection drawer.
  5. Check the box beside Use Access Protection.
  6. Click Apply.
Kevin1991
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Haimydear, I'd like to thank you for your response. I really do appreciate it. unfortunately though, the problem still persists. when I tried accesing my Firewall settings, the same problems occured as posted above. Nothing but the ability to turn my firewall off or on, and the ability to restore defaults. If you have any other possibilities, please let me know. Otherwise, thank you very much for your help. Appreciate it.

Deepu_S
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi,

Kevin please try to reinstall McAfee. Click here to get the steps to uninstall and reinstall McAfee.

Kevin1991
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahh. It works now. A million thank you's and a billion bows to you my friend. I can now sleep easily knowing this issue has been solved. (Not really, but thanks a bunch anyway). honestly, thank you for reading this and even linking the sites. Fixed the problem 100% first try. GG. /bow. U win .

Deepu_S
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Glad to hear that your issue was resolved.

SteveD
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the exact same after migrating from a dell desktop, running XP SP3 to an HP desktop running Windows 7.

All the configuration settings in McAfee Anti Virus Plus are greyed out, which pretty much renders it useless. I spent over 2 hours online with the online help this afternoon, and a further 3 hours trying to solve this myself.

I have followed the steps above but I still get the same problem.

Any ideas? I am pretty much ready to bin McAfee right now.

SteveD
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

worked this out - don't know why mcafee online couldnt have told me about it. With wndows 7 you have to have the native windows firewall running at the same time. it integrates with third party vendors firewalls. In previous windows versions you had to disable the windows fw if you were running another vendors firewall.

Pretty easy once you know! Turned on windows firewall and now have access to configure all m mcafee settings.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community