cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cj2902
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Can I install BOTH security center and virusscan plus on same pc??

hi my subscription to the security center ran out so i went to renew it. i had some trouble installing it and when i clicked on the security center it said i didnt have any antivirus installed so i went and foolishly bought the virusscan plus. now i have sorted out the security center not all of the tempory files had been deleted before i installed the new one, now this is working i tried installing the virusscan plus but it doesn't seem to want to work. is it actually possible to have these two programs running simultaneously. thanks in advance for any help. Chris
5 Replies
plastic_honesty
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

RE: Can I install BOTH security center and virusscan plus on same pc??

hi,

can you provide these infos:
Operating System and service Pack of your PC
Version of McAfee programs installed on your PC
RAM of your PC

If you installed a McAfee suite on your PC it should include virus scan already so no need for you to install virus scan plus that's why i asked if what's the name or version of the McAfee Security Center you installed. Is it Total Protection of Mcafee Security Suite?

If your are receiving an error that virus scan is not installed, there is a possibility that you have a conflicting progam/anti virus on your PC, kindly check the list of incompatible programs on this link:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=307274&lc=1033&partner=10005&type=TS

If you don't have any conflicting program, you just need to uninstall/reinstall the McAfee program on your PC by following these steps:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033&partner=10005&type=TS

After doing the said steps and tried reinstalling McAfee on your PC but your still receiving the error, do let us know.
cj2902
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Hi thanks for the reply,
I am using vista 32bit service pack 1 and 4GB RAM. Not sure which version of mcafee im using. i bought a new dell laptop last month and it came with a 30 day trial of mcafee security center so not sure which version. when the trial was running if i opened up the security center the icons on the home page (Computer and files, Internet and network, e-mail and im, parental controls) all said protected. now i have installed the renewal the computer and files says protected but the others say "attention".
thanks
plastic_honesty
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

base on your reply, i beleive you renewed your subscription but you did not remove the trial version of McAfee you have on your PC. The best way to resolve the problem would be uninstalling the McAfee on your computer right now and then reinstalling it. just follow the instructions on this link http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033&partner=10001&type=TS

and sinced you already renew your subscription for the McAfee Security Center(which already includes virus scan) you can just call McAfee Customer Service to cancel your subscription to the McAfee Virus Scan Plus and get a refund:)
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Lest you get confused..

McAfee security centre suite will have : VS+FW+AP+PC+SA
McAfee Virus scan Plus will have :VS+SAplus

where VS is Virus scan,
FW is frewall
AP is Anti-spam,
PC is Parental controls (a.k.a Privacy services)
SA is Siteadviosor

Other suite like Internet security suite and Total Protection include Databack up, Easy network etc...:)

Hope this helps:)
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

To clarify the above..

VirusScan Plus will have VS+FW+SA (FW - Firewall, VirusScan isn't sold separately)

No matter what you install you will always have SC (Security Center)

Best contact UK Customer Service regarding what's on your account. Link second from left at the top of this page, select "United Kingdom - English" from the drop-down menu.

You can contact them by Chat, Email or by Phone.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community