cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
me262
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

CPU tied up when I first boot

In general I like this software. BUT there are times I first get on my computer and I really need to do something QUICKLY. However, the software takes up almost ALL my CPU and I really can't do much until it updates. It would be really nice if there were an option to tell the software to only use X percent of my CPU so I can actually use my computer when it first comes on.
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: CPU tied up when I first boot

Not knowing what products you have doesn't help us, but if you have Spamkiller for instance (Anti-Spam) make sure that your email inbox isn't used for storing emails. Otherwise the very first thing it does is scan them, as does VirusScan now that I think about it.

You could turn off the auto Quickclean and Defragmenter .

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (Bottom left)
Click Tools (left)
Click Task Scheduler (far left)
Delete both those tasks if you wish.

But don't forget to do a periodic system cleanup via Control Panel/System & Maintenance.

Whilst in there you could set Security Center to notify you when updates are available rather than just install them whenever they are ready.

Click Configure (left)
With Security Center highlighted at the top left
Click Advanced (right)
Click Update Options at the left.
me262
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions about CPU usage at boot

I don't have spankiller, quickcleen or defragmenter enabled, but I did change the update function to notify me first prior to downloading updates. I will see how that works for me.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

RE: Thanks for the suggestions about CPU usage at boot

Well good luck. It might not be such a bad idea to scan for spyware using some independent applications. Try the free versions of both of these:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Let them clean anything they find.

It may just be that you have a lot of startup items anyway, and since McAfee has been installed it's just the icing on the cake, if you get my meaning.
me262
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the tip on Spyware and Malware

I have monitored my CPU usage and applications running during start up and I KNOW it was the McAffee update monopolizing the CPU. Personally I have been dissapointed with freeware Spyware and Malware. I did have some retail spyware I found effective, but McAfee considerted IT to be malicious and McAfee would not run until I uninsatlled the offending Spyware. From what I have seen and heard there is alot of free Spyware that has spyware imbedded in it. I'll stick with the changes I have made for now and punt if I need to in the future.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

RE: Thanks for the tip on Spyware and Malware

Both of those applications are perfectly reliable otherwise we moderators wouldn't recommend them and they are extremely effective. There is no need to pay for them and they don't interfere with McAfee.

It's your choice of course.

Yes, I agree the McAfee update is a real resource hog.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community