Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMH714
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

CPU Usage hog McSvHost.exe is affecting my online game

Hello.

For past few days, I’m having problem with iRacing (online racing simulation) as it shuttering frame rate – I had no problem with them till recently. I went into Task Manager and noticed the McSvHost.exe have been eating up huge CPU Usage. It spiked up every second and it’s affecting the iRacing performance. When I suspend McSvHost.exe process, the spike went flat, but I cannot go into Internet unless McSvHost.exe is running.

I never had any problem with McAfee with iRacing till McAfee installed the new interface recently. What can I get it fixed the way it was before?

I have Windows 7 (32-bit).

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: CPU Usage hog McSvHost.exe is affecting my online game

Hi ,

Could you please provide the following details ;

How is your computer  connected to internet ?
Do we have any other security software installed in the computer ?
How old is the computer ?
Did we have any malware infections in the past ?

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

JMH714
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for replying, but I already removed all McAfee software from my computer and the problem went away.

To answer to your questions:

The computer is connected to cablemodem, using cable (not wireless).

Only McAfee was installed, no other security software on it.

It’s about 2 years old, but still powerful enough to run high end games.

The computer has never been infected by malware.

On other note, I’m A+ certified and I do know how my computer runs - if there’s something changed or wrong with it, I would know it.

I noticed the change on about the time McAfee updated the Internet Security Center – as soon as it’s updated, my computer performance went nose dive.

At first, I thought it was my internet connection problem and I found nothing wrong with it. Then I tried to defrag it and dump all temporary files and checked for adwares and spywares. The problem continues. Not till I noticed the FPS (ingame) bumping up and down every second. I went into Performance section in Task Manager and noticed the spikes. The only one that is eating up computer resource: McSvHost.exe. When I disable (suspend) it, the spikes disappeared.

I contacted McAfee technical support and I explained the problem. They remote connected to my computer and tried to resolve it and they did not resolve it. They put me on their Tier 3 level technical support and they looked at my computer. But they blamed on my computer for bad performance. I disagreed with them and I told them it is the software that is screwing up with my computer performance. They insisted there is nothing wrong with it and keep blaming on my PC. At the point, I felt that they refused to help me out with the software, I cut them off.

So, I tested my theory that McAfee software is responsible for weak my PC performance. I used the system restore to July 14 – that’s before the McAfee software update – and the spikes are gone and my gaming improved back to normal level.

After being rude by McAfee Tier 3 level technician, I have decided to cancel my subscription with McAfee. I have clean reformatted my computer and turning this computer to gaming-only computer. I’m happy to report that my computer – without McAfee software installed – is running at the level it was supposed to be. And I also bought a new computer for general purpose (i.e. internet, MS office, etc...), it came with free 15-month subscription with McAfee. I checked the CPU usage in Task Manager and it is spiking. It doesn't matter, I'm going to get different company.

I’ve been with McAfee for more than 10 years and it was the first time I have been really angry with them.

Dinz, if you really wanted to help me with it and if you have good connection with McAfee’s executive people, I suggest you explain the whole situation on their software that is crippling our computer’s performance and that their technical support service being rude.

Thank you.

judah11
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

This is the second thread I have seen on this issue. The other goes back for for way to many years. I have been stepped around in the same manner, and I am coming to these forums as a last resort. If McAfee does not fix my problem before the summer is out, they will have lost my business. 

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Hello Judah11,

Sorry for your frustration with this regards,  I have sent you an email requesting for more details so as we could facilitate a call back for diagnosing the issue and collect the required logs for development team. And as I have stated on that other thread, we are constantly engaged on getting this issue sorted out at the earliest.

Thanks,

vys
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Hello, McAfee

What kind of people are working there at McAfee??? Do you even know how to use computer other than replying in forums? Why do you make excuses that you're doing something while you're NOT?

Is there PCs at McAfee that you can install windows and your own McAfee product and TEST them, watch them and so on???  What you do is just making excuses that community is not helping you and etc. IT IS YOUR JOB, NOT OURS, thats why you're getting money and we buy (...well bought) McAfee products.

Another thing:

on this thread "McSvHost.exe cripples my PC"  first post was made on 01-Feb-2010.  So you had ONE AND A HALF YEAR to solve this issue.

What answer we get??????

I WAS McAfee fan for years, but you ruined your reputation...

So bye bye McAfee, no more headaches.

Regards

Another angry ex-customer

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community