cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JuliaDenver
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Beware of scammer posing to be McAfee charging $399.99 to your account for auto-renewal

Jump to solution

I was scammed yesterday by an email claiming to be McFee having charged $399.99 to my bank account for auto-renewal of McAfee Anti-Virus and Firewall Protection.  There are obvious signs it is a fake email.  Notice the email address of the sender and the misspelled word Inwoice.  They give a phone number to call to reverse the charge.  Actually, you can check your account and see there was no charge, and you can also check your McAfee subscription end date. 

Do not fall for this scam.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 14

Re: Beware of scammer posing to be McAfee charging $399.99 to your account for auto-renewal

Jump to solution

Hello @JuliaDenver 

We are sorry to hear this incident. Please ensure you don't click any links, images on the spam e-mails. If you're not familiar with the sender, do not open, download, or execute any files or email attachments. Ensure you delete that spam e-mail and also if you feel that you have been scammed or any other issues related to this, please contact our support number 866-622-3911. You can also contact our Chat Support by accessing the link below,

McAfee Support

Regards,
Madhan M

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it Accept as Solution and give Kudos if appropriate

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 14

Re: Beware of scammer posing to be McAfee charging $399.99 to your account for auto-renewal

Jump to solution

Hello @JuliaDenver 

We are sorry to hear this incident. Please ensure you don't click any links, images on the spam e-mails. If you're not familiar with the sender, do not open, download, or execute any files or email attachments. Ensure you delete that spam e-mail and also if you feel that you have been scammed or any other issues related to this, please contact our support number 866-622-3911. You can also contact our Chat Support by accessing the link below,

McAfee Support

Regards,
Madhan M

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it Accept as Solution and give Kudos if appropriate

peterrobinson
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Jump to solution

I have received an email allegedly from McAfee, using an address "Yexico town", claiming to have charged me 599 euros for a renewal of a McAfee subscription -- which I do not have. The email gave a UK phone number which I rang. The person there claimed he could fix this -- but I would have to connect my computer to their server to effect the charge reversal. UhOh I thought. No way. 

I checked my bank accounts and no such charge has been or could be made. So I am calling their bluff. 

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 14

Jump to solution

Firstly that is a ridiculous charge I get these all the time but never from supposedly McAfee.You did mostly the correct thing 1st check your account in the bank better to do this on another machine in case you clicked on a link in the email.

2nd if no charge contact McAfee to see if they want a copy of the email. I know when I got a similar one that said my PayPal account was frozen that PayPal wanted a copy.

3rd delete email and scan your PC ( worth a check)

I would never call them though it probably got them interested in that they thought they had caught you.

Good luck

Mess82
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Jump to solution

Screenshot_20211124-085911_Gmail.jpg

Sushine43
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

2021 Beware of scammer posing to be McAfee charging $497.99 to your account for auto-renewal

Jump to solution

New Scam

DEAR MEMBER,

Thank you for choosing our service…!!

** Your Yearly Plan for McAfee PC SECURITY Has Been Successfully Renewed & Updated.

With this subscription, you will able to access the best system security features. You were charged USD USD $ 497.99

The Debited Amount Will Be Shown Within Next 24 TO 48 HRS On Your Account Statement. **Billing info :-

Order ID:                                            VBCHDYTEU

Charges:                                             USD $ 497.99

Payment Mode:                                Auto-Pay

Date:                                                   December 06, 2021

Service:                                               McAfee PC SECURITY

Freda1
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Jump to solution

I just received this email today 

Confused1
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

I got this today??? McAfee charging $399.99 to your account for auto-renewal - Is crazy!

Jump to solution

MCScamPhoto1a.jpg

Stormieent
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Jump to solution

Me too. I got a text from a phone number 1-833-461-0414 stating- Mcaffee-Thankyou for purchasing mcaffee antivirus .$849.99 will be charged to your linked visa card In case of cancelation reach us here -+1 877-418-3698 (Mcaffe support team) Case ID 54396

Ironically I got an email stating the exact same thing for a similar amount but for Norton about a month ago. I already confirmed with Norton that this was a scam so I already knew when I got the text today for Mcafee that is was a scam too. 

Screenshot_20220318-145152_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20220224-210734_Yahoo Mail.jpg

cedreed
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Jump to solution

they changed the price on mine to 299.  I called and they said i had to be in front of the computer. i said i had a web browser on my phone and they hung up. They blocked my number so i used my wife’s phone and called back told them i was in front of my computer. They wanted me to hit the cntr key and some other key but the accent was so thick i couldn’t understand them. just got a second email wanting me to login and finish my registration using a login name i never use. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community