cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plenty_otoole
Former Member
Message 11 of 13

Re: RE: BUMP!!!

If that does not fix it would you send me a PM?

SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 12 of 13

"MFEHIDK.SYS" is the "Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver".  It is "owned" by McAfee, and is to be found in "<windows>\System32\Drivers" ("<windows>" is the root directory name for your Windows libraries).  If you navigate to it, it will show a module of ~209 KB, with a signature of "McAfee Inc" and a file version of "14.0.0.351" (McAfee folks: add in any other versions, mine is 14.0.0.351).

Since the "<windows>\System32\Drivers" library is under "<windows>\System32", one can air-drop malware or other nasties into "<windows>\System32" named "mfehidk.sys" and usurp control (and  perhaps give you the BSOD).

I would suggest that you use Malwarebytes AntiMalware  ( Malwarebytes.org ) as a first go to detect if any malware is present.  If successful, you can skip the next part.

In Windows Explorer, navigate to "<windows>\System32" and determine if "mfehidk.sys" is present.  IT SHOULD NOT BE THERERemove it, and HARD re-boot (hard like in crash the box, not allowing Windows to shut down).

You might also wish to check the following: "<windows>", "<windows>\System32\WBEM".  You may find that the above process is easier performed in Windows "Safe Mode".

(The "<windows>" on my PC is "C:\Windows".  I have had or seen "C:\WINNT", and "C:\WindowsNT".  The "C:" is my boot drive, and yours may be a different letter.)

Post back here.

SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 13 of 13

I have tested Registry Mechanic and Spyware Doctor, as well as other registry "cleaners".  While significantly better than tools mass-marketed such as "Finally Fast", most registry cleaners tend to be (IMHO) over-zealous, trying to find large numbers of "errors" or "flaws", encouraging one to pony up to get the "licensed version" to "remove" the "junk files, registry errors, and  ..... " that slow down your PC.

Both Registry Mechanic and Spyware Doctor find many true errors, but all one need is one false error, and the removal can lead to larger problems.  I have licensed neither of these, and the recommendations of these products as well as those that I do use regularly are carefully analyzed before making the suggested removals.

Caveat emptor, and, more importantly caveat lector.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community