cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bob2011
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BSOD after install of lastest downloaded program update

Becasue I live in a rural area, I am on dial up. Being on dial up makes me very aware of what McAfee is downloading: I do not use automatic; I have it prompt me when something is availble and then manually initate it when there will be no other demands on the internet connection. So over the years I can tell the difference between what I assume is just a DAT file (10-30 minutes to download and install) and a program update (hours to download at a max of 8 MB/hour).

So earlier this week there must have been a program download, becasue the download time was very long, and after the download completed the McAfee icon in the system tray said "you must restart" when hovered over.

So I restarted, and ever since I have had problems.

First, on a restart and after logging in it takes a very long time (~5 minutes) before the task bar even draws (ie, no Start button, or clock, or system tray icons, etc. Nothing). Then after waiting for the task bar to finally draw, I can start Task Manager and see that explorer.exe and mfevtps.exe (going from memory...I wrote the name down last night and left it at home) and a couple of other McAfee tasks are taking most of the cpu, say 80 to 100%. And this demand on the cpu never seems to end (I let the computer sit for an hour...no change).

After a bit of time a pop-up comes up from windows (XP Home) and says something like "Windows has recovered from a serious error...., do you want to send". So I aunch the dial-up connection and it gets connected, and then within a few minutes (not immediately usually) I get the BSOD. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take an picture of the BSOD that I could have included here, but it said something like "...IRQL_NOT_EQUAL.." and then did list some driver names (can't remember, but they were.sys). My connection always crashes before the entire error report can be sent to Microsoft. I will try to add the BSOD picture to this thread tomorrow.

Anyway, since I can only keep my internet connection up for at most a minute of two before the BSOD, there is no way to get online help, etc, so I am typing this from work.

I have tried going back to a restore point, but it makes no difference.

Can anyone help? I can post what ever info you ask for, but it may not be all that timely becasue I will either have to do it from work at lunch, or from the local library after work.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies
bob2011
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: BSOD after install of lastest downloaded program update

Well, rather than resotre to the 'last good" (which didn't help) I restored to one that was 5 days old, and no more BSOD.

The restore log only showed McAfee files (and a lot of them) were reverted.

Now I don't know what to do...Security Center tells me the computer is unprotected, and wants me to download something, but I have every reason to believe that the download will once again casue the BSOD. So I either don't update McAfee (including DAT files) or I update it and make my computer unstable/broken.

Anyone have a suggestion...

momshelper
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

???

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Help Please, there is no point in patrolling the board reviving old threads that you feel should have been answered.  This issue wasn't dealt with in the forum simply because we are all volunteers here and cannot answer every single thread that is started here, the actual Technical Support is by online chat which can be reached through right-clicking your taskbar icon and selecting 'Get Help' or through McAfee Support at the top of this page, or under Useful Links.   It would appear that the OP cured the BSOD so the next step would be to update McAfee or uninstall/reinstall it and that is probably what he did.

It's unfortunate that threads go unanswered but as I said, we try to reach as many as possible but some are missed because of the sheer numbers.

Another reason it may have gone unanswered is because the OP answered his own thread, thereby taking it off our unanswered list, he should have edited the discussion instead.

Thread locked as you are being helped HERE.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/07/11 7:03:27 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community