Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rubeena94
Contributor II
Message 1 of 6

BLANK Mcafee window!

Jump to solution

Okay, this really annoying problem came by a few days ago and I've been searching online ever since, to find a solution for it. I have Mcafee Total Protection on Windows Vista basic 32-bit and my default browser is Mozilla Firefox 5.0 and I also have IE 9 installed on this computer.

However, when I was searching for a solution, most of it stated that IE9 was the problem but I had installed IE9 a month or 2 earlier, and Mcafee was working fine with it.  Anyhow I uninstalled it and downgraded to IE8, but the Mcafee window was still totally blank and unresponsive. So I installed the IE9 again.

The icon in the system tray is also not responsive, so I can't right-click and check for update or anything.

I also would not like to get rid of the whole service, as my subscription ends this december.

I'd like a proper solution for this please!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rubeena94
Contributor II
Message 5 of 6

Re: BLANK Mcafee window!

Jump to solution

Thanks for trying to help.

As I was uncomfortable on having to download a chat in order to get help, I went on to uninstalling the service using MCRP, but I deactivated my license first so that it doesn't get confused with how many licenses there is really left after I uninstall it. After removing the software, I booted my PC and logged onto my account to downloaded it again.

Now there is no problem with it, and hopefully it stays that way.

I hope this method works for other people who may be trying to get this annoying problem fixed.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

McAfee relies on IE for its function regardless of default browser. Did you at any stage have a beta or 'RC' version of IE installed which you never uninstalled but simply updated over the top?   What operating system and service pack are you using?  Check this by right-clicking 'Computer' and selecting Properties.

Try opening IE and going to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK any prompts.

Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any you need.

See if that helps.

rubeena94
Contributor II
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I installed IE9 through the windows update, and it's not Beta ot 'RC' version. I'm using Windows Vista Home Basic (32bit), SP2.

I tried what you said, but it's still blank.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Hmm, very puzzling.  We used to see this a lot in beta versions of IE.  There are various suggestions published in several other threads on the same subject but none of them were acknowledged as the final solution.

I suggest you open a new case with Technical Support online chat linked via Useful Links at the top of this page.

If necessary they can connect with your machine to troubleshoot plus you can escalate the issue to a higher level if necessary.

rubeena94
Contributor II
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Thanks for trying to help.

As I was uncomfortable on having to download a chat in order to get help, I went on to uninstalling the service using MCRP, but I deactivated my license first so that it doesn't get confused with how many licenses there is really left after I uninstall it. After removing the software, I booted my PC and logged onto my account to downloaded it again.

Now there is no problem with it, and hopefully it stays that way.

I hope this method works for other people who may be trying to get this annoying problem fixed.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

That's good.  I was going to suggest it and changed my mind....well that should teach me to go on instinct in future..LOL

Glad it's OK now.

FYI re: licensing. if you uninstall via the Control Panel before running the MCPR removal tool that will also deactivate the license online automatically.  Useful to know for the future.

Good luck. 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community