cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LJJ
Contributor
Message 1 of 244

Auto update to Security Center 2010 kills Windows 7 search

As part of my workflow, I use a Windows 7 search to find and remove "Debug" folders from a development environment (so a search like "name: Debug kind: folder"). This was working great until a few weeks ago when McAfee upgraded intself to Security Center 2010. Immediately after this update, the aforementioned search failed to return any hits. I did do an online chat with a McAfee technician who claimed that he had never heard of this problem. Nevertheless, I removed McAfee from the computer and reinstalled version 2009 and the search functionality came back as per normal.

Yesterday, McAfee yet again upgraded automatically to Security Center 2010 and the Windows 7 search function is again non-operable.

A couple of other facts:

a. With McAfee 2010 installed, a "reindexing" for Windows Search stops after about 1000 files.

b. I did find a single reference out on the Web that suggested that this problem is due to McAfee treating a certain standard Windows file as containing a virus.

FYI - The computer exhibiting this problem is a HP laptop running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Thoughts on this ?

Thanks

243 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 244

Re: Auto update to Security Center 2010 kills Windows 7 search

You may want to try to run the McAfee Virtual Technician found under Useful Links at the top of this page under Technical Support. MVT will scan your computer for McAfee related issues and will attempt to fix any it finds. It will generate a report number which you should post here on the forum for the moderator to reference. You may also want to try Technical Support Chat for another opinion. It is possible the agent you initially contacted may not have been knowledgble with the issue you have, but perhaps another agent may know of something to do. If you do not feel as though your are getting anywhere, you could ask to have this escalated to the next higher tier of support and insist on a case number and reference it here on the forum. As it is the 4th of July holiday weekend you may not here from any McAfee personell till Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile a volunteer moderator may chime in and add something or suggest something that they have run into in the past that could get you up and running sooner.

Good Luck

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 244

As an extra will ask our higer level techs in our call Monday. Will see if they know about this.

LJJ
Contributor
Message 4 of 244

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately MVT crashed (twice) on my machine (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - I was incorrect earlier when I indicated it was Windows 7 Professional).

I instigated another chat session. This turned into 2 sessions with the technician taking control of my machine. In the first case, the tech restarted my machine and the connection was lost. In the second case, the case was escalated to the next level. This is the eventual outcome statement from the tech at the escalated level:

-----------------

Lionel, currently there is a compatibility issues with the Windows 7 64bit operating system and McAfee software. We need to discuss the issue with our development team. We will give you a call back after this. Please let me know your convenient time tomorrow.

========

Hmm - that's being kept quiet by McAfee.

One other thing I did notice. If I turn off the "Windows Search" service ( presumably stopping indexing from functioning), the search now operates correctly, albeit with Windows warning me that the "searhc may be slow becase indexing is not functioning, click here to restart indexing....").

Thanks

Lionel

LJJ
Contributor
Message 5 of 244

Thanks Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 244

Lionel, currently there is a compatibility issues with the Windows 7  64bit operating system and McAfee software. We need to discuss the issue  with our development team. We will give you a call back after this.  Please let me know your convenient time tomorrow

gees there is no issue except the BSOD issue that some get both Ex_brit and I use win 7 64 bit and it is totally stable.

It is  time to chase them up via our techs. Have you a job number for the call?

Ok search works fine if indexing off correct?

You haven't any such things as google desktop installed?

Will pass on what you reply back with

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 6/07/10 12:12:17 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 6/07/10 12:18:09 PM
LJJ
Contributor
Message 7 of 244

Peacekeeper:

Well the job number for the second chat started at 528095668 - but that tech escalated me to another level. I don't have a new number for that escalation - maybe it all happens under the same job number. The technician was TitusJ.

I do **not** have Google Desktop installed.

I do have a couple of versions of Visual Studio and several versions of SQL Server, but other than that, nothing terribly special.

I have disabled Windows Search indexing by setting the Windows Search Windows Service mode to "Disabled" (otherwise, it restarts after a few seconds) and then stopping the service. The search function then returns the correct results.

Thanks

Lionel

LJJ
Contributor
Message 8 of 244

Well, I did get a call from a McAfee tech asking if "I was satisfied that the reported problem was solved". Uh - no, because nothing has been done !!

Anyway, this technician took over my machine, uninstalled McAfee 2010 and then started going through the registry and removing all references to McAfee. This was taking a long time, so I offered to complete this step at a later time because I needed to use the machine. He agreed and asked me to re-download and install McAfee. I went ahead and completed the registyr purging and re-downloaded McAfee - but, of course, it downloaded McAfee 2009 (despite what the technician said it would do).

With McAfee 2009 installed, Windows Search functions just fine with or without the indexing service turned on.

Eventually, this morning McAfee updated automatically to Mc Afee 2010 and the search function has stopped working again - all very consistent with what I have been seeing all the way along.

If I attempt a reindexing, I do get these events in the Windows event log:

- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Search" Guid="{CA4E628D-8567-4896-AB6B-835B221F373F}" EventSourceName="Windows Search Service" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">3036</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>3</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-07-09T16:51:27.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>12810</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>ljj-hp4</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="ExtraInfo">Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex  Catalog Details: No protocol handler is available. Install a protocol handler  that can process this URL type. (HRESULT : 0x80040d37) (0x80040d37)</Data>
<Data Name="URL">mapi://{S-1-5-21-3917625357-722922011-689452086-1001}/</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

and

- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Search" Guid="{CA4E628D-8567-4896-AB6B-835B221F373F}" EventSourceName="Windows Search Service" />
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>3</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<EventRecordID>12811</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="ExtraInfo">Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex  Catalog Details: Access is denied. Check that the Default Content Access Account  in Windows Search Central Administration is correct, or follow the "Exclude and  Include Content" link to add a rule to specify the proper crawling account to  access this URL. (HRESULT : 0x80041205) (0x80041205)</Data>
<Data Name="URL">file:C:/Users/</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

and

- <System>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>3</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<EventRecordID>12812</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="ExtraInfo">Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex  Catalog Details: Access is denied. Check that the Default Content Access Account  in Windows Search Central Administration is correct, or follow the "Exclude and  Include Content" link to add a rule to specify the proper crawling account to  access this URL. (HRESULT : 0x80041205) (0x80041205)</Data>
<Data Name="URL">file:C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I think that I am due to get another call back from McAfee today.

Lionel

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 244

Good luck to me it appears a bug that needs reporting .

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 244

I'm having exactly the same problem, both in Windows 7 32 & 64 bit, so it is not a 64 bit compatibility problem. The 64 bit installation is fresh and the problem appeared exactly after installing McAfee Total Protection 2010.

In my case, Windows indexer will find 0 files and report "indexing completed". After opening some files, photos for example, the index shows a few more files added. But the worse is that when I choose to view photos sorted by month in windows explorer, the folders appear empty.

Does anybody else have the second problem? I'm asking to find out if these problems are connected.

Is there a patch coming out to solve the problem?

Screenshots of the problem attached below.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community