cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LJJ
Contributor
Message 221 of 244

Re: Auto update to Security Center 2010 kills Windows 7 search

Yes - it is good that this problem has been fixed and credit is due to Peacekeeper for helping to make this happen.

However, while all the high 5's are being exchanged, it is worth remembering that the response to solving this problem has been really slow. I'm in the software development business and my customers would never stand for this lengthy a turnaround on fixing a problem of this magnitude.

The bigger issue here is that even after this problem was acknowledged, McAfee front-end technical support staff were not included in the loop. Based on both my own experience and others in this forum, this lack of inclusion resulted in considerable wastage of time and a great deal of frustration for McAfee customers. In fact, there are probably a lot of Windows 7 users working under the impression that "Windows 7 search doesn't work". Software by its very nature has bugs and that is understandable - in my view, a company is judged by how it reacts to the appearance of those bugs and in that sense, McAfee has not performed at all well.

It would be a good thing if McAfee recognized the shortcomings exposed by this particular bug and indicated to the community that they are going to take definite positive steps to ensure that their front end techs are kept better informed of known issues and that they are being given the ability to inform customers of those issues rather than covering them up for misguided marketing reasons.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 222 of 244

LJJ,

All excellent points you have raised, and I agree with you. Since the community changed to this new format, the way we support people has also changed. Peacekeeper can attest to this. Previous iterations of the community were strictly volunteers doing support. Items they could not resolve were referred to the standard support phone or chat.

In this new community, things are a little different. Because we have the volunteers and so many McAfee employees, the amount and level of technical support we can provide here is much greater. We also rely so much more on our volunteers to let us know when something is confirmed to be a problem, and the general number of people reporting that problem. This is good, because more issues get fixed here than before, but the downside is that items that need to go to support so they can be escalated are taking too long. The main reason I see is that people who come here for support want to stay here, and are much more resistant to calling or going to chat. The other challenge (and this is a huge one) is getting connected to people so we can pin down what's causing something and get it fixed. I've got another very active thread I'm working on right now and we've yet to get a single person to respond to our requests to troubleshoot. Until I can do that, or get someone to do that through support, I can't narrow down the cause and look for a fix.

We're improving this stuff. I know this thread belies that, but things are improving here. What I think we need to focus on is cultural, in the sense that we need to help people here to the best of our ability, but know the right time to get formal support involved to speed the process.

Feedback like yours helps us do this, and we are grateful! We're going to keep working on it though, and keep improving.

Peacekeeper
Message 223 of 244

Re front line aka chat knowing of the issue I agree they do need updating more often. We mods  have mentioned that in our calls and the techs have passed this up the line. Will revist this in our next call to see if any progress has been made. There are a lot of chat staff and how to get this info out needs to be looked at I understand.

Somer just informed me she has a process in place to update all managers re issues we pickup here. So there should be an improvement in Chat knowledge hopefully..

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/11/10 8:12:05 AM
LJJ
Contributor
Message 224 of 244

Somer:

I appreciate the rapid and detailed response. It would seem from your and Peacekeeper's responses that lessons have been learned from this situation. Mistakes happen - learning from them is what is important.

Thanks

user_57852
Contributor
Message 225 of 244

Unrelatedly (because I am way too stressed to find the proper thread)....

I have a new Viruscan Plus 2011 CD here.  Instead of installing the CD, can't I just give you some info on or within the package and

use the download instead to renew?

Peacekeeper
Message 226 of 244

After installing from the cd it will update automatically within a week or so. To jump straight to the download that I feel is answered by THIS

user_57852
Contributor
Message 227 of 244

>> McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2011 for 1 User for 1 Year - "CD ONLY"  in a _plain box_.   Model: MCAFEEAVP2011 <<

That is the product description from online store.  What worries me is that it says "CD ONLY".  Does that mean it still provides a download key?  I *don't* want to install it from a CD.

Peacekeeper
Message 228 of 244

It should be fine to set up a registration and download online. If you are worried contact Customer service via the useful Links tab above

Pieter1973
Former Member
Message 229 of 244

I followed this thread for some weeks because the index function on my Windows 7 (Home Premium) computer didn't work properly. When starting a new index search, the search was aborted after scanning 700 items. Last weekend I downloaded and installed the new McAfee upgrade. But my disappointment was very great when I discovered that the indexing function still doesn't work as it should. Now some 6.000 items are scanned, but it should be a lot more!

Igor

Peacekeeper
Message 230 of 244

That should not happen reports here and offline appaer to say it works as it should. Will flag Somer.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community