cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 201 of 244

Re: Auto update to Security Center 2010 kills Windows 7 search

Heh, heh, heh,  Yepper, Peacekeeper, I got me mojo an' me laptop subscription kickin' with the Aussie dwnld.  All 124 Mb installed like spreading peanut butter on a Ritz!

A few minor problems have been encountered though... when I open Security Center, instead of "Run In The Background", me McAfee now says "Run In The Outback!"  and instead of showing me name when I log in at McAfee.com it says "Welcome back, Mate!" 

(I just couldn't resist cuz I never before had such an opportunity!)

Seriously... I've started rebuilding my index and it does seem to be going a bit slower than when I ran it with McAfee removed from the system.  I am indexing content as well as just filenames so it should run for many hours before it's complete.

I suppose a part of the speed is affected by my having reinstalled Windows 7 just a few hours ago.  I did that to remedy the BSOD from the "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" error I was recently seeing within just a few minutes after bootup.

Anyway, it seems to be sizzlin' like shrimp on the ol' barbee!  (Okay, I'll quit that now.)

bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 202 of 244

So far my index has rebuilt to 3% (24,000+ items out of an expected 798,000+) completed in approximately 20 minutes... soooo, it looks like the whole rebuild will take approximately 11.1 hrs total time.  That's almost as fast as the 9+ hrs. it took to rebuild the whole 798,000+ index while McAfee was removed.  Of course when McAfee was removed, I wasn't online posting to forums or reading the newspapers.  So if I log off and hit the sack soon, it should pick up speed.  It should pick up speed (item count) when it leaves my graphics stores and gets to the documents drive.

"Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!" - Jimmy Durante, aka "The Shnoz!"

Message was edited by: bigfeather2 on 10/26/10 10:04:52 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 203 of 244

Here I went looking for the "Run in the outback" message

Re bsod network / wireless drivers need to be updated not to use those supplied by windows. That is 1 issue with BSods we are seeing.

Peacekeeper
Message 204 of 244

I have just found out that site advisor for Firefox now not working. I
can't find the extension for it and am about to contact McAfee support.

Ok installed FF and SA works with extension in add ons. So no extension present in addons?

Maybe uninstall SA and reinstall it only

coxy
Former Member
Message 205 of 244

I ran McAfee virtual tech and it fixed it, thanks

Peacekeeper
Message 206 of 244

Gees why did I not think of that. Time to retire. Glad it working

Plotinus
Former Member
Message 207 of 244

Could you tell me what the name of the Firefox site advisor add-on is? I've been looking for one ever since Finjan stopped supporting the latest versions of Firefox. I was going to try the McAfee Site Advisor, but during installation it says that it clashes with Spybot. I have had a reply that, despite the installer message, Site Advisor will work with Spybot (https://community.mcafee.com/message/156570#156570) but I haven't checked it out yet.

Peacekeeper
Message 208 of 244

It is an extension I think. Re spybot you could disable it or remove it and install SA then reinstall Spybot though never activate tea timer. really Mcafee with Malwarebytes and superantispyware as backup should be enough especially if you use Mcafee's Stinger as well.

Oh we are off topic here anyone else got the fix and happy with it?

FRANKKANT
Former Member
Message 209 of 244

Wow.  I actually read through 14 pages of posts on this topic.  Quite entertaining.  Threats of lawsuits, un-filled promises, elated posters thanking McAfee for fixing a problem they caused, and an entertaining look at how little chat tech support knows.

After 6 months of becoming an index pro, much along the lines of pacificmike, I finally found this thread.  I think if I would have found it back in July, I might be as irate as him.  I quit Norton years back for a similar reason - it caused more problems then it ever found.

Reading along I felt very fortunate to find the solution the day after it was released.  Only to read on to find that it wasn't actually realeased on the 26th.

And to be honest, I still have my doubts.  We could soon be hearing "I meant to say 11/02/2011.  Or "we had to pull it from the US release."

I can wait till Tuesday.  But if it's not released, doesn't work, or breaks something else, I'm giving up on Anti-virus all together!

Time to go back on the anti-depressants.

-Frank

bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 210 of 244

Still no side effects here, PK.  No BSOD either, but I will withhold the "OK" on that for a few more shutdowns and bootups.  The Indexing took a bit longer than calculated but seems to be healed.

Yes, an appreciation for the moderators is necessary... for 'listening' and for acknowledging us.  Problems don't get resolved when there is no communication and the moderators, mostly voluntary, are our only voice to the inside track.  We would otherwise be ignored.  It's good to have responses to our posts... even if we don't get immediate "fixes".  At least then we know someone, regardless of how remote they may be from the front offices of McAfee, will gather information going both ways and try to keep us aware of progress, if any.

We should say, "thank you" to our moderators.  The mods didn't cause the problem, but on the contrary, they too are likely having the same problem(s) in most cases.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community