cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 191 of 244

Re: Auto update to Security Center 2010 kills Windows 7 search

Are we talking about the same 2011?  Total Protection 2011 and other 2011s are being offered for sale already at http://home.mcafee.com/Default.aspx ?

Am I in error to think that my subscription, now current through January 2012, would include updating to 2011?  If so, I should be able to do an uninstall/reinstall and thereby acquire the 2011 version, is that right?  Or, do I have to wait until after my first year (2010) ends?  Hmmmmmm.  I wonder how that works... I should be as current as one can possibly be at the moment and since 2011 is being sold, I assume it is released, in which case I should be seeing my version as a 2011 suite.  Am I right?

Peacekeeper
Message 192 of 244

Sigh how I hate this marketing rubbish where several of the AV firms release a say 2011 version that is really the 2010 version updated to current patches. We mods have well and truely added our complaints re this but it seems marketing and the sellers expect a new version around Late September. The 2011 version they sell updates automatically when the real 2011 is available and that is not for at least 3-4 months. the beta isnt released yet. It is not only Mcafee that does this I have been told.

Yes when 2011 is released you will be upgraded to it automatically as you said your subscription is fine to 2012. 2011 will have we hope several of our wish list additions we sent off to the developers so 2011 might be an interesting version.

If you see 2011 on a box before january/february it is 2010.

bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 193 of 244

Deception is a large part of the sales game.  We don't really lie, we just don't tell the truth. "Caveat emptor" is the game all marketeers play these days... and politicians are the most proficient at selling swamp land for building a utopia.  People are way too gullible.  Whatever happened to the best marketing principle ever... that was started when Henry Ford said of his Model T when asked about marketing options, "You can have any color you want, so long as it is black!"

Practicality, durability, and honesty are too often heavily flavored like the old proverbial bull's pile.

What's another week... no problem.  But I don't have to like it.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 194 of 244

Heh no politics, my head will actually explode.

The reason they release so early is twofold. 1) Everyone in this industry does this (groan). Seriously. and 2) We're trying to get away from the mentality that you're buying a disc with a program on it. Instead, you're subscribing to a security suite... The upshot of that is that when some major new advance is made, you get it automatically as long as your license/subscription is up to date. Where it gets really confusing is when new versions are released. People generall don't welcome change... 2010 was a big change for a lot of people. 2011 is going to look very similar, but what's under the hood is a new machine, know what I mean? I'm looking forward to it. Development specifically asked us, the people in the 'trenches' so to speak, what we'd like to see... and we told them! heh Hopefully most of our suggestions will make it into the final release, and hopefully you'll like it.

Peacekeeper
Message 195 of 244

Ok Somer emailed me it is up on the aussie server builds

FIREWALL         11.5.140.1

SECCENTER     10.5.216.4

VIRUSSCAN     14.5.130.3

From what I seen before the last ,1 .3 etc do not show always so expect

FIREWALL         11.5.140

SECCENTER     10.5.216

VIRUSSCAN     14.5.130

Ok logged onto my test box that was installed from aussie server and a big update coming down automatically . Versions are as mentioned above without the exttra .1 etc

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 27/10/10 6:31:44 AM
hitesh_89
Former Member
Message 196 of 244

Uninstalled my US version, download one from aussie servers, updated and MY INDEXING IS KICKING AGAIN.. Finally...

As Peacekeeper posted earlier, I got the following builds

Firewall                 11.5.140

Security Centre     10.5.216

Virus Scan            14.5.130

coxy
Former Member
Message 197 of 244

I've just downloaded from Aust site and got same versions and index search is working. I was hoping there might be a fix for TB3 anti-spam as well, but no luck

coxy
Former Member
Message 198 of 244

I have just found out that site advisor for Firefox now not working. I can't find the extension for it and am about to contact McAfee support.

bigfeather2
Former Member
Message 199 of 244

You probably need to disable McAfee Site Advisor if you wish to use Firefox's.

Peacekeeper
Message 200 of 244

Should be working will try it myself later on today. Works fine before this version will get back to you.

Glad search working re TB3 issue I have faith in them to have it added soon.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community