cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Annoying Mcafee Icon keeps reappearing again after latest patch!

Jump to solution

Ok, I've read about this problem from an old thread. I've also applied the fix, but it seems the fix doesn't work this time. The annoying Mcafee desktop icon keeps reappearing after reboot or after an update. Happens since about a day ago after Mcafee underwent an update.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 13

Re: Annoying Mcafee Icon keeps reappearing again after latest patch!

Jump to solution

The fix for this issue is rolling out as we speak but may take several days / weeks to be applied to every customer. It was a bug that we've worked hard to fix, not a conspiracy to market to, annoy, or lose our valued customers. This thread is being locked due to spam complaints.

For up to date information, see Issue Update: McAfee desktop icon cannot be permanantly deleted.

The release as shown in the link below will take a few days to reach all servers in each case.

This is per the Forum Administrator.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/01/12 9:18:03 EST AM

View solution in original post

12 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

This was a bug ages ago that was fixed, then broken again in a recent update, sorry about that.

If it isn't fixed within a few days you may wish to contact Technical Support via phone or online chat, it's free, see the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks for trying to help. I've emailed tech support. Hopefully a fix is on its way. I really hope they get our message and do not include the annoying code again. It almost seems like a spyware or nagware, replicating shortcuts over and over again. It's a very minor thing, but it bugs me whenever I view my desktop. I wonder anyone having this issue too? I've retried the fix listed in another thread to no avail. I'm not comfortable to mess with the regedit so I never tried that.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

They are working on it.  It even happened in our beta product so it was a DAT that must have been ill-written perhaps.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

After several days and several patches, still no luck. The zombie icon is still there, respawning every now and then. VERY VERY frustrated now. This recurring icon almost makes some spywares and popups look good. Hope Mcafee comes up with a fix this coming Monday. Spamming icon BE GONE!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

Strange that it is happening to some people and not to others - I only saw the 'icon wouldn't stay put when moved' problem and then I deleted it anyway and it never came back.  I have a feeling the two are connected.   I have it on the agenda for tomorrow's call with McAfee.

dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone. It appears our latest update to Security Center 11.0.649 has created a bug with the desktop icon. We have reproduced the issue and filed a bug. The bug will need to go through the standard review process. Once I learn of a the timeline for a fix I will update the thread.

Regards,

indinfer
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

I also have the same problem. I delete the icon. It reappears after rebooting and after an update. I move the icon. It moves back after rebooting and after an update.

When I want the McAfee dialog window, I right-click the little icon that is in the taskbar. So, I don't really need to clutter my desktop with yet another icon. But if McAfee requires me to have a McAfee desktop icon, it would be nice if I could at least choose where on my desktop the icon stays. But the icon does not stay put, either.

I admit that being able to easily and conveniently bring up the McAfee dialog is nice. I turn off McAfee Real-Time scanning when I do CPU intensive actions such as opening an Excel spreadsheet, switching between QuickBooks files, and making a PDF file. I turn it off because the Windows Task Manager shows it is hogging the CPU taking 50% to 99% of the CPU resources. And the Excel spreadsheet opens so slowly, and the whole computer although having a duo core 3 GHz CPU runs so slowly when the Real-Time scanning is on. So, I turn it off when I am doing safe things. I make sure the Real-Time scanning is on when I do a Google search and click on the resulting links because McAfee Real-Time scanning keeps me safe from unfamiliar web-sites (and from some familiar web-sites, as well). Being safe is worth the wait. 

In any case, you are not the only one with the Icon problems. I see the problems, too. The nature of software is that seemingly simple bugs can take a long time to fix. And I would rather wait a little longer for a real fix, than to get a quick icon fix that breaks a bunch of other things. So, I hope McAfee will spend whatever time is needed to assure a real fix that does not cause some other problems.

I am pleased to read that the Icon problem is being worked on.

mitchstewart
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

I'm so tired of this, I like a clean desktop, this is really annoying me.  I feel like moving to a different virus scanner and removing this program if it doesn't get fixed in the next few days.   STOP the madness.

indinfer
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

I noticed in the past few days that Windows Task Manager shows McAfee has not been hogging the CPU resource. Now, McAfee generally uses much less than WmiPrvSE.exe. And WmiPrvSE.exe uses less than 12%. WmiPrvSE.exe is Windows® Management Instrumentation and is a component of Microsoft Windows. WmiPrvSE.exe is not a McAfee product. It just happens to be the program or service that is using the most CPU resource when application programs (Excel, Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc) are not doing anything.

Having my computer slow way down bothered me more than the Icon. So, I appreciate the McAfee team's prioritization.

My not being able to control whether the Icon appears on the desktop still bothers me. And if I want the Icon handy on the desktop, my not being able to control where on the desktop also bothers me.

I figure that the McAfee team will solve the problem and test their solution to make sure the solution does not cause any problems. Who knows, they are probably already testing one or more solutions.

In any case, I wanted to say that I have not had to turn off the McAfee Real Time Scanning protection for several days because McAfee has not been hogging the CPU resource at all. McAfee seems to be doing a very good job throttling itself. And I am pleased to have McAfee's protection.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community