cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
socal_mitch
Former Member
Message 1 of 22

Annoying McAfee Desktop Shortcut doesn't get deleted permanently (redux)

Sadly, since a McAfee employee decided to block further posts to the original thread (I presume because McAfee did not want to deal with this problem any more) I've started another thread.   The person who blocked the original thread even ignored a message I sent to her.  Very sad and poor customer service in my opinion.

The old thread is here....

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/21606?start=430&tstart=0

The (ever changing) date of the promised fix is upon us and when I check, the McAfee program keeps saying there is no update.

Were we lied to?

21 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 22

Re: Annoying McAfee Desktop Shortcut doesn't get deleted permanently (redux)

This is the second time I've answered you so you can see why the Forum Admin chose to lock a few threads..

The US and UK area patch was released today...but...as with the announcement here: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3361 or on the Home and Home Office main page, "The patch is set to go to 25% of customers, therefore it may take several days to reach everyone. For immediate solution to the issue, reinstall from the Australia site. Go to http://home.mcafee.com/Default.aspx?culture=EN-AU and log in through "MyAccount". Find your product and install. The install will remove your previous product and give you the latest version 11.0.654. If you are currently on version 10.x.xxxx you may not be entitled to go to 11.0.654 yet."

25% throttling means it can take at least 4 days to reach everyone in a region.  This due to the fact that with 40 million or so customers it just isn't possible to update everyone simultaneously, the servers and the internet service providers might have issues.

Those threads were locked by the Forum Admin due to a huge increase in flaming.

The dates are not 'ever changing' as you put it.  They haven't changed once.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/01/12 8:39:47 EST PM
socal_mitch
Former Member
Message 3 of 22

Peter, Peter, Peter,

Let's not get angry here.   I know you posted the same thing....but that was a different thread.    Not everybody reads every thread.  I started this tread before I was aware of the other thread.

Trust me...I saw your other reply, and replied myself.  🙂

Message was edited by: socal_mitch on 1/17/12 5:50:18 PM PST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 22

So I read.   Good night.

mikehackett
Former Member
Message 5 of 22

Right so what we've been told repeatedly on the now "locked" and overly-long thread that a fix for this issue will be released on the 17th - so annoying as it has been we're happy enough to wait for it- now it's not the 17th that we'll have a resolution but whenever the global wave of updates finally hits my Irish shores. Gotta love the vernacular here "throttled at 25%"!?! this surely translates to slowly, slowly catchy monkey in the real world!

"Flaming" ha another one, such nonsense terms!

I've kinda gotten used to this irritating icon viewing it now as a daily reminder not to renew my subscription to this trashware when it expirese next month.....!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 22

The release for the UK is out but throttled, meaning it will take time to reach all the UK servers - a few days.  If you want it fast simply uninstall/reinstall.

justabloke77
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Ex_Brit, I appreciate that you have been under fire from many users in your generally thankless efforts to answer the masses over this issue. I personally haveappreciated your work and defended McAfee in the "Blocked" post and waited patiently for the update. The update hasn't hasn't come as promised and due to throttling or not, this is not acceptable.  I have already cancelled my subscribtion. Not because of the icon issue itself but because like a loyal customer i allowed the auto renew to happen while I waited for the update and then found on the website that people could buy new at half the cost I renew. Frankly, that just insulted me. I've always been very happy with the product but now I feel the service has become sloppy at best. My computer security shouldn't be a headache and it shouldn't create the kind of problems it sets out to remove.

I'm not sure what I'll use yet because I'd never considered anything else. McAfee have very kindly given me a months "credit" to ensure continuous protection and for that I am thankful.

I am so disappointed with this whole debacle.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 22

justabloke77 I hear you and thanks.   Regarding the cost of renewing, once can always ask for a refund and then turn off the auto-renewal process as it does indeed pay to shop around.   The fact that auto-renewal is on by default is one of the many things we have fought to change, without success in this case. The throttling means that although a release is made it takes time to reach all servers as, in this case, only 25% get it the first day and so on.   Normally releases are single-digit percentage throttling which takes much longer, and as I said uninstalling/reinstalling will get it straight away.

It's a shame to lose you but don't for one minute think the other makes are without their own set of problems, because they are.

Anyway I wish you the best of luck.

😉

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/01/12 9:21:14 EST AM
ljbrompton
Former Member
Message 9 of 22

Hello --

I am in the US and eagerly awaiting the advent of this fix to my computers.

What I'm wondering is, assuming I'm not in a hurry and I'm just waiting my turn in the McAfee queue... when my turn comes up, will the fix apply itself automatically (like when games patch through Steam) or will I still have to apply the fix with some sort of manual download / install (like when I patch a game that I purchased on CD)?

Thanks --

LJB

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 22

Hi LJB,

The fix will be in the form of an automatic update. You will be asked to restart, but otherwise shouldn't have to do anything.

If you'd like to get it sooner, try doing a "check for updates" several times (maybe 6-8). It should kick start an update and get you sorted.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community