cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rodbuildr
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

An error occurred while updating Reinstall mcafee

I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with this situation. My Mcafee icon popped up and told me my computer is not protected, I click on it and it tells me the detection signature file is between 8 and 29 days old. It then tells me to click here to fix the problem. After a few seconds a window pops up and tells me an error occurred while updating please reinstall these programs. Mcafee Total Protection. I did, twice, and both times everything was great for about a week and then the same thing again. I am running XP and use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. I just recovered from a generic proxy!m trojan that tried to mess up some things, it was more of an inconvenience than anything. You guys really helped me with that and I appreciate it. Any suggestion on this situation. Thanks.
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

RE: An error occurred while updating Reinstall mcafee

XP SP3 I hope? Check that your system clock is accurate.

First, enable Windows Firewall to provide you some protection.

Check for spyware/,alware using the free version of these two tools, update them before running and let them remove anything they find.

http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If that fails then try running the MCPR removal tool linked in my signature & reboot and retry.

If it indicates that it was unsuccessful run it again and reboot then retry.

Another thing that sometimes helps, assuming you have either IE7 or 8 installed (you should have 8 even if you don't use it) - go to IE Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the Reset button. OK any prompts and click Apply and OK.
Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/Manage Add-Ons and re-enable the add-ons.

McAfee relies on an up to date IE working at its default settings even if it's not your default browser.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community