cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karpski
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

An Error Has Occured

Yesterday morning was when my last full scan completed successfully. Since then only 2 things have happened.
1> DAT's were updated.
2> Windows Update installed Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB972260)

This morning I began getting the following.
"
An Error Has Occurred
Scanning has encountered a problem from which is cannot recover.
Here are the problem details:
- Error getting scan progress.
When finished, you will return to the Home window.
"

It seems to happen with the same files. I submitted one to Avert but it came back as inconclusive. I also checked that same file on my XP machine and it did not cause McAfee to fail.

Windows detects an issue and pops up its " McAfee VirusScan - On Demand Scan has stopped working "
Here is the problem signature from this window...
"
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: mcods.exe
Application Version: 13.3.127.0
Application Timestamp: 49d37ce
Fault Module Name: mscan64a.dll
Fault Module Version: 5.300.0.2777
Fault Module Timestamp: 486bbc99
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000166de9
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
"

Is this unique to me or are others having this problem?
Should I be waiting for a patch or should I be re-installing?

Any advice or pointers on where I should be investigating would be helpful.

edit:
At the time of writing this my DAT was 5694. When today's DAT is available I will update and try to reproduce the error.
15 Replies
KawaiiMomo
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

RE: An Error Has Occured

I'm also having this error, and have the same DAT version 5694.0000
I tried reinstalling a few times to no avail, hoping it's a issue fixable by an update.
takman0
Former Member
Message 3 of 16

Not having this with XP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5693-4 fixed my disabling virus protection problem. I have not had this problem with running a scan and I have run both scheduled and full scans, I just finished a full scan (on-demand) with 5695 update. Do you all have Vista, a couple posts with this problem mentioned having Vista.
karpski
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

RE: An Error Has Occured

I have updated to today's DAT's ( 5695 ) and it still fails.
karpski
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

RE: Not having this with XP

Indeed I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Security Center
Version 9.3
Build 9.3.162

VirusScan
Version 13.3
Build 13.3.127
DAT Version 5695
KawaiiMomo
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

I am also running Vista x64 Ultimate
Giu
Former Member
Message 7 of 16

I'm experiencing almost the same problem.

My Build is 9.3.162, Version 9.3 (Security centre) and the DAT is 5695.
The crashing application is mcshield.exe.

Problemereignisame: APPCRASH
Anwendungsname: mcshield.exe
Anwendungsversion: 14.0.0.423
Anwendungszeitstempel: 49ad7d5b
Fehlermodulname: mscan64a.dll
Fehlermodulversion: 5.300.0.2777
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 486bbc99
Ausnahmecode: c0000005
Ausnahmeoffset: 0000000000166de9

I'm running Vista Home. The problem surfaced after the IE 8 installation along with windows security updates. The service doesn't crash on starting several programs like Firefox, Spybot S&D, Open Office and some others. But when i try starting some programs, like Skype for example, or some older 32bit programs, it crashes. Mcshield.exe shows itself as terminated in the service list. It can be restarted manually without problems, and it doesn't fail again, until i start another (most commonly 32bit) program. I had also the problems with the "You're not protected" message, but these are gone after updating to 5695.

Several scans with Macaffee and Spybot S&D do not show an infection. The MVT is always pleased to tell me that there are no problems and everything is fine. If needed, i can provide a new session ID.

My (not very educated) guess is that there exists a problem with handling 32bit flagged applications accessing informations from the net. Eventually it is one of the security updates which changed the Microsoft killbits.

Anyway, i'm not very happy with a constantly crashing on access scanner. Unfortunately the live chat/e-mail support is no option for me, because they are both greyed out and not accessible. I'm not a pro, so i'd like to apologize if i got something wrong and i'd be glad if you can point me in the right direction, or provide some informations about solving this problem

Thanks in advance
Giu
redfooted
Former Member
Message 8 of 16

In the Event Viewer, are you seeing a McLogEvent (5019) event at the same time as the McShield error? At the bottom, it shows the file that caused the failure. In my case, it's:

More information :
ScanRequest : NTName is \Device\<path>\bin32\GameGuard\GameMon.des.

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?p=573633#post573633
karpski
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

I am not seeing this, I just have The McAfee Scanner service terminated unexpectedly. Nothing informative.
ispalten
Former Member
Message 10 of 16

Same problem

My problems started a few days agp. I've done at least 1/2 a dozen uninstall, cleanup tool runs, reinstalls, all to no avail.

I've failing on boot-up, on a PCMagazine's Utility's UPDATADLL.DLL file. REPEATEDLY. I've had these utilities for a long time and the program never choked on it before?

The Virtual Technician when run gets varying results. No problems, 3 problems, 2 problems, 1 problem, and even a hang once?

Sometimes it says it fixes the problem, sometime it says it can't fix one, and I rescan. 50-50 chance it fixes the last problem.

Today, the On-demand scanner got an error immediately but Virtual Technician says all is OK?

This is getting to be a pain.

Irv S.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community