cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Unhappy-bunny
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Admin - standard user question

I'm not sure if this is in the right section, so appologies if not.

I have secuirty center 10.5

I have a few questions is it  normal if:

1, I run an on demand scan in a standard user account it only detectss the cookies etc from that user? (as opposed to a scan in admin which detects the cookies from all users) 

2, If you are logged into a standard account - the scheduled scan starts in the admin account BUT there is no indication that a scan is running both in the notification area or in the secuirity centre of the standard account (you only find out if you log into the admin account).

3  Finally (not sure if this should be in MVT):  If you run MVT (straight frrom the site) in the admin account,  it finds MVT (that is showing in programs) updates and runs - but if you run from a standard user it says it can not find MVT on your system and prompts you to download it. If this is normal is it ok to keep installing it ( I'm a bit of a novice ,but i thought if you installed things on top of another it causes problems).

Thanks

2 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: Admin - standard user question

Sorry, missed this when it came in.

1. Yes, quite normal. That's how user-privilege operations are supposed to work.

2. Really? I would have thought the notification would have been propagated to the active account, at least. It's not something I've seen, but I spend far too much time in the admin account.

3. Hmm. Either this is because by default MVT puts its log and data files into the admin-level user section, or that the first time you installed it you were using the admin account. It shouldn't matter much, since the operating files all get put into c:\program files (or c:\program data, depending on your OS). Installing on top of an existing setup shouldn't cause any problems, since if there's an existing version the new one will do a quiet uninstall before it installs. If you want to be sure, you can always remove MVT using Add/Remove Programs and let it do a fresh install. And one thing I noted last time I used it is that MVT auto-updated itself before running. I don't think it used to do that, but it does now.

Unhappy-bunny
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: Admin - standard user question

Thanks, it was bugging me - I could nt remember if it had always done it and since I started having the other problems (MVT, Real time scanning not detecting cookies) I was noticing everything and wondering if they were connected.

So you have put my mind at rest.

Thanks again

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community