cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uversa
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Adding files to a trusted list

I've been getting a false positive on a file on my pc, which Security Center keeps deleting. I've been trying to find out how to add this file to a list of trusted files, but I can't find any such option.

Is there a way to either stop Security Center from automatically deleting this file (forcing me to reinstall the program it's a part of), or to add the file to a trusted list?

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies
uversa
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Adding files to a trusted list

I've since managed to at least locate the quarantine/trusted list, but I still do not get the option to trust the file when it is detected

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Good morning uversa,

Have you tried scanning the entire program file with an anti-malware program, such as, Malwarebytes (free version) after you have re-installed the particular file McAfee is deleting...to ensure there is no malware present?

uversa
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Morning Pete,

Thanks for the reply. I'm confident that there's no malware present. The program in question is discussed here:

http://www.mektek.net/forums/topic/157102-false-positives-with-anti-virus-programs/

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

Uversa, when your McAfee software upgrades to the 2011 version, which should be soon, there is a limited trust feature incorporated for manual and scheduled scanning only, but not yet for the real-time scanner.

Until McAfee issues a patch for this application (I see that forum states they have submitted it, but I wouldn't wait) you will have to temporarily disable VirusScan to submit the file by email for approval.

Instructions are here, also on what to do if they reject it:    https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

user_131214
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

If the file is truly clean, the following should work:

Go to SecurityCenter->Navigation->Real-Time Scanning->Scan Settings->Extended Protection Section and uncheck Scan for viruses by identifying threat patterns.

Now you should be able to restore the quarantined file.

Disabling this feature does increase infection risk from some as yet unknown malware, however the risk is small if you stay away from dangerous sites and pirated applications.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community