cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kitty132383
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Accidently blocked Google Chrome. Need help!

Jump to solution

I wasn't looking and I think I blocked my Google Chrome when it popped up. I have the 2010 version of McAfee Internet Sceurity. A lot of people are saying to set Chrome to 'outgoing' on the firewall page, but when I looked, chrome wasn't even listed as one of the programs there. Whenever I try clicking on it, I get this error: Error 138 (net::ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED): Unable to access the network. I have been searching for a solution for nearly an hour now, and need help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Accidently blocked Google Chrome. Need help!

Jump to solution

In Security Center's Firewall Settings, go to the 'Internet Connections for Programs' section. There is (or should be) an 'Add' button. Click on it and you should see this -

Add Program to Firewall settings.JPG

Leave Access on Full or change it to Outgoing, whichever you prefer. Netguard is best left to On if you have it.

Click Browse and you'll get a list of places in Program Files. Go to Google, select Chrome then Application. Click on 'chrome.exe' and then click the 'Open' button. That window closes. Click on 'Save'. Chrome should now be allowed again.

If it doesn't work or you still get the message, come back and let us know.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

In Security Center's Firewall Settings, go to the 'Internet Connections for Programs' section. There is (or should be) an 'Add' button. Click on it and you should see this -

Add Program to Firewall settings.JPG

Leave Access on Full or change it to Outgoing, whichever you prefer. Netguard is best left to On if you have it.

Click Browse and you'll get a list of places in Program Files. Go to Google, select Chrome then Application. Click on 'chrome.exe' and then click the 'Open' button. That window closes. Click on 'Save'. Chrome should now be allowed again.

If it doesn't work or you still get the message, come back and let us know.

kitty132383
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Yes, my internet is back. Thank you!

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Hey, that's good. Plus we now have the whole thing documented for the next time it happens to someone

MenoukhaOpichi
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution
Google is not listed when I browse.
Oliver360
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

McAfee Total Protection 2018 provided a complete all-in-one solution to your PC security. It also comes with Password Manager, Multi-Device Protection, File Lock, Free Support. It has been reported that McAfee blocking Chrome in some of the Microsoft Windows devices. McAfee will not allow the user to install the Google Chrome web browser on their laptops or desktops. This issue cannot be simply solved by disabling the McAfee antivirus before installing Google chrome. 

Below are the complete steps to solve McAfee blocking Chrome:-

• Make sure you have the most recent version of McAfee installed.
  • If you want Google Chrome to be unblocked so you may browse the web with it, you should give it full access to all of the rights in the McAfee antivirus dashboard.
  • To do so, start your McAfee antivirus program.
  • Click the "Navigation" link that appears in the top right corner of the McAfee window from the McAfee antivirus home screen.
  • After that, you'll be presented with a variety of options from which to choose.
  • Select "firewall" from the drop-down menu.
  • Find the Google Chrome program listed under the "Program Permissions" tab.
  • Select "edit" from the Google Chrome program.
  • After that, select Allow full access for Google Chrome from the drop-down menu.

Now you will be able to access the google chrome browser with your McAfee software

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community