cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fanstand
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Access denied msconfig when removing startup programs....

Hi all,

Am trying to stop several programs being loaded in start up. No way to do it from within the programs themselves so was tring to do it via msconfig. When I attempt to apply changes I get an "Access Denied" message - despite being system administrator.

I understand this has been a problem for sometime - have read several previous posts on the subject which explain that despite recieving Access Denied messages changes will still go through.

However, I've found that once I have made changes windows will only let me run with Selective startup - if I try to return to Normal Startup it resets changes.

Is there no way I can log these changes permanently and be able to go back to the normal start up process?

Or have I missed the point (the Access denied messages are irrelevent) and if I uncheck programs on list this means I will always be running with a selective start up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
1 Reply
Grif
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

RE: Access denied msconfig when removing startup programs....

Selective Startup is EXACTLY that. It's selective.. "Normal Startup" means no changes have been made. If you make changes to the "Startup" tab in msconfig, you must leave the Selective startup option enabled.. If you do so, the changes will stick.. If you go back to "Normal Startup", they will all go back to their default settings..

So...in order to do what you want, make the changes in msconfig, then leave the "Selective Startup" option as it is.

Hope this helps.

Grif
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community