cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ggal
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

AOL 9.1 v. McAfee, Round 2

For various reasons I must use AOL every day. I use AOL 9.1 and McAfee Security Center 9.15 via Comcast. In the past I have disabled System Guard to be able to sign in to AOL, but this evening McAfee updated itself and now I cannot use AOL. It hangs at the "checking password" screen. Apparently System Guard is still checked as disabled. This is ridiculous...please help me fix this problem. I'm tired of being caught in the middle of the AOL v. McAfee fight.

7 Replies
BigJ
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: AOL 9.1 v. McAfee, Round 2

I have the same problem with McAfee when thet update security center. I always have to click on configure then computer & files and then click off under system guards even though I had it turned off before the update. Bet yours was turned on also so turn yours off like I have to every time they update security center.

Jerry

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 8

ggal if bigj's suggestion doesn't help post back and I will flag the post for higher help. Not an AOL user as downunder so not familiar with the issues .

ggal
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Jerry,

I used to turn off System Guard again after every update, too; however, it says it's still disabled. Part of the problem is the Security Center interface seems to have changed with the current update so it's harder to find things. I poked around this morning and found a second place to turn off System Guard...it, too, said it was disabled, but I disabled it again and now AOL is working. So, your answer was sort of correct, although Security Center claimed SG was already disabled.

Thanks for your reply.

ggal
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Tony,

Thanks...bigj was sort of correct. I knew System Guard had to be disabled again after every update, but this time Security Center claimed it was still disabled. I was able to find a second place to turn it off, so I clicked it and clicked it again and now AOL is working. I'm no fan of AOL either, but I'm tired of being caught between the two companies while they point fingers at one another in this mess. (AOL users have been dealing with this for at least a couple of years...ironic since many of us are using McAfee in the first place because it was offered through AOL.)

The only lingering question I have is why Security Center claimed System Guard was disabled after last night's update when apparently it was not. I'm able to connect again so I don't need this kicked up for higher help, but it would be nice if the higher-ups knew there still was a connectivity issue for AOL users.

Thanks again.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 8

If SG wa sdisabled shouldn't you have had a "not protected message" and red bar?

I will point this issue out in our Monday tech call to see if anything has been noted re this.

Re you double clicking I was thinking of that as I have seen it happen previously that sometimes you need to enable/disable to get it to register.

Hope all OK now but will reappraise the techs that AOL users have issues

on 11/19/09 3:09 PM
BigJ
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Peacekeeper I have SystemGuards protection is disabled checked marked under configuration, security center advanced options for ignored problems so SecurityCenter still says I am protected. I use windows defender real time protection so the two probably clash with each other.

Jerry

Manoj_AR
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Hi,

Next time when you see this problem, do not turns off SGS instead try resetting the IE (Run->inetcpl.cpl->Advanced tab-> Reset). The issue seems to be a conflict b/w IE settings and SGS settings. If still no go, try the below fix.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/TS100332.bat

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community