Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 32

RE: 64 bit - Really, are you sure?

One of the senior technicians says this

don’t think it’s an issue with McAfee Security scanner.
Are we sure that user enables the Email tool bar in the McAfee? If not, just make sure anti spam tool bar is enabled.
Secondly an email has to be received through the Anti-Spam engine and has tagged with “[SPAM]”. So my question would be. Is user getting an email with “[spam]” tagged?

TomTinsley
Former Member
Message 22 of 32

I guess no one reads anymore.

Yes I enabled the email toolbar, which does not show up. Why, because McAfee told Outlook the MSK folder is in C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK on a 64 bit system. But guess what....Here is the good part.... The MSK folder is in the c:\Program Files (x86)\Mcafee\MSK. So since Outlook can not find the MSK folder it does not load. This is not hard...come on guys. Also notice I am a very skilled computer user.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 32

Because that's the way it is. It doesn't matter to the user which files reside in which folder and if you have been trying to change that then there is the reason for problems.
It installs the way it does because many so-called 64-bit programs aren't really 64-bit but built to perform in a 64-bit environment, hence those two program files folders.
TomTinsley
Former Member
Message 24 of 32

I give up. I did not change anything. McAfee installed this way and that is that. McAfee Toolbars do not work in Outlook 2007 on a 64 bit system, at least this one. Because McAfee tells Outlook that the MSK folder is in the folders I told you before. Like I said McAfee told Outlook wrong. So Outlooks tried to load its componets... it says ok lets load the McAfee Toolbars.... Outlooks says ok and looks in the c:\Program Files\ McAfee\MSK folder and gives an error. Why? BECAUSE IT IS NOT THERE. MCAFEE TOLD OUTLOOK TO LOOK IN THE WRONG PLACE. Is this so complicated? Why can no one see this?

This is so easy, why does everyone make it hard?
TomTinsley
Former Member
Message 25 of 32

Lets make it easier to understand.

Is the McAfee Spam Toolbar a 64 bit program? I bet you it is not. Then why does McAfee tell Outlook it is installed in the 64 bit path?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 32

I don't think any part of McAfee is a "64-bit program" - very few applications actually are 64-bit, they merely are made to perform on a 64-bit system.

I know you can't seem to get satisfaction from Technical Support but really that is your best approach to this as we aren't Technical Support staff, only volunteer users like yourself.

As others seem to have it working OK in Outlook 2007 on 64-bit machines I think it would be an idea to ask the Technicians to escalate the issue and even to go into your machine to check out what is going on.

Meanwhile I'll pass on your comments but getting responses here is a slow process as you have realised.
TomTinsley
Former Member
Message 27 of 32

I can't do this anymore. I have already given enough information to resolve the issue. I wish someone could have really read what is going on. Maybe I am not a great communucator. Thanks for you time Peter. You will not hear from me again until sometime in the distant future when McAfee finally gets it fixed.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 32

You've communicated just fine. It's just that no-one obviously knows the answer here, and true Technical Support is elsewhere.

I'm sorry but I can't find anyone else who is having the same issue to compare notes, if I could I would.
TomTinsley
Former Member
Message 29 of 32

I fixed the problem. It was simple and I did not think of it. Your Developers need to be aware of this. When people migrate their data they may bring a file from a 32 bit system to a 64 bit system. The problem is from the 32 bit system McAfee will have installed all of its files under the c:\Program Files\ folder. Which it should because it is a 32 bit system and only has one Program Files folder structure. When you migrate to a 64 bit system you have 2 Program Files folder structures. So why did this mess things up? I will tell you. Extend.DAT in the C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook folder structure still holds the previous information for the location of the MSK folder structure on the old 32 bit system. So I renamed the extend.dat file to extend.old and reopened Outlook and it created the new extend.dat file pointing to the c:\Program Files (x86)\ folder structure. I would ask that you tell your Senior Support people to try a little harder. First try reading the problem and don't assume that they understand from the title of the thread. It is hard to get good support these days. Make sure you alert the developers and support of this issue.

That is why I get paid the big bucks.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 32

Tom, thanks for posting that and I certainly will pass that up the line. Whether or not it registers with their little grey cells is another matter of course.

Anyway, I'm glad that you figured it out. Can I mark this solved?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community