cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomTinsley
Former Member
Message 1 of 32

64 bit - Really, are you sure?

I installed McAfee Total Protection recently using the DMsetup.exe downloaded from my account, which is current. The installer did install some parts in C:\Program Files\ and most in C:\Program Files (x86)\. I will list the 1st level child folders below. McAfee Anti-Spam for Outlook 2007 of course will not work because it thinks it installed the MSK folder in c:\progra~1\mcafee\msk when it really installed it in c:\progra~2\mcafee\msk. Thunderbird however DOES work, go figure.

Now before you ask me to do the CMD as administrator thing...DONE

c:\Program Files includes:
MSC
VirusScan

c:\Program Files (x86) includes:
MHN
MPF
MPS
MQC
MSC
MSHR
MSK
MSM
SiteAdvisor
Supportability
VirusScan
31 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 32

RE: 64 bit - Really, are you sure?

It's quite common for software to be 64-bit compliant but not actually 64-bit, hence Windows having that x86 folder. My installation is exactly the same as yours in 2 Vista Ultimate SP2 x64 rigs and 2 Windows 7 Ultimate RTM x64 rigs.

My x86 folder is packed with a whole host of software.

If your software is malfunctioning or failing to install properly then I suggest the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows 7, Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
If the tool indicate incomplete removal, reboot and re-run it.

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista/Windows 7: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
TomTinsley
Former Member
Message 3 of 32

Well this is not a bash, it is fact. 32 bit emulation mode and a 64 bit application are entirely two different things. McAfee is not a 64 bit application it is able to install and run on a 64 bit system in 32 bit emulation mode only. I have a lot if applications in my x86 folder as well. I also have some real 64 bit applications in my C:\Program Files\ folder.

I tried like you said above, again. However I still get the same results. The first post should have stated I installed everything from NEW.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 32

I'm sure it will all change in time. It was only with Vista that 64-bit really took off. I only just went 64-bit myself, with some trepidation, but so far few problems.

Yes, I have programs in the 64-bit folder too but a lot fewer than in the other one.

If you are having issues with Outlook and Anti-Spam I would advise you to contact Technical Support Chat as they are better equipped to check what's going on. Link at top-left of this page.

I don't use either myself.
TomTinsley
Former Member
Message 5 of 32

Peter thanks for the assistance. I sure hope 64 bit is around the corner for McAfee.

Thanks Again
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 32

You're welcome and good luck!
TomTinsley
Former Member
Message 7 of 32

A lot of help support is.

They said Windows 7 RTM is still beta and they willl not help. McAfee is so behind the curve.

THIS SHOULD BE EASY.

How can I change Outlooks view of the c:\progra~1\mcafee\msk to c:\progra~2\mcafee\msk?

McAfee has fallen to the bottom of my list just because their support is wearing blinders (case SR-382625781)
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 32

That's a question for Technical Support to answer. If at first you don't get an answer get back to them and ask for an escalation.

You can't change those parameters yourself as far as I know.

Windows 7 is still officially beta until October 22 except to those of us fortunate enough to be members of Technet/MSDN and people who have illegal downloads..
TomTinsley
Former Member
Message 9 of 32

That is what I told the support ID-Ten-T person. I have Windows 7 64 bit RTM. But he said even that was beta. This should also be a problem for Vista 64 bit users as well.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 32

Well the folder issue is the way it is regardless but this "McAfee Anti-Spam for Outlook 2007 of course will not work" is beyond me I'm afraid as it is supposed to work fine in anything over Outlook 2000.

Is this any help: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=228423&highlight=outlook+toolbar ??

The trouble is it's the weekend coming up and getting any experts to appear here is well nigh impossible.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community