cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcarter1024
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

3 problems: real-time scanning unwanted program scanning and IM scanning is disabled

I have windows vista on an HP laptop. i recently erased norton security off my computer and downloaded McAfee security center  through AT&T yahoo.

when i click the fix tab it says; one or more problems cannot be fixed because of an error. i followed some of the steps  posted to other people  like making sure i have no other security programs on my computer, and etc. i ran the virtual tec. and that did not fix any problems.....what else could be wrong? it says  real time scanning disabled, spyware and potentially unwanted program scanning disabled and IM scanning  is disabled. how do i fix this?

3 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: 3 problems: real-time scanning unwanted program scanning and IM scanning is disabled

Just curious if you used the Norton removal tool to completely remove any traces of Norton that might be leftover that failed to completely remove via the normal uninstall via Add/Remove programs. You can get Norton tool from their website.

This link from McAfee will assist you in installing the McAfee software.http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100119 Be sure to use the McAfee preinstall tool found in the link before you install McAfee.

Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall McAfee and reboot. Then go to Useful Links at the top of this page and run McAfee MCPR removal tool and reboot. Follow the instructions in the link I gave you and reinstall McAfee and see if this corrects your issue.

Good Luck

dcarter1024
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Re: 3 problems: real-time scanning unwanted program scanning and IM scanning is disabled

i tried all of that  got rid of all protection even mcafee...followed all the directions and re-installed mcafee and now i have more problems than when i started... it says the same three plus, buffer over flow protection diabled, script scanning disabled, and the detection signature file is more than 30 days old.   and when i try to scan it says scan faild to start result= 2147467259 and the fix button does not work

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Check your system clock for accuracy and it sounds very much like your Vista isn't up to date...is it?

You should also follow the malware removal tips here: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

and install the free version of this software and run it after updating it first:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Let it remove anything it finds and reboot immediately if asked to.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/09/10 7:12:28 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community