Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccfischer
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

2012 Total Protection Installation Problems

Jump to solution

I am downloading the product on an HP Laptop, operating Windows 8.

I had Kaspersky Antivirus protection which I have uninstalled becasue 1.) McAfee disk installation told me to & 2.) My Kaspersky expired (yesterday 3-14-14).

My problem is this

1.) I get an error message that reads:

"Potential Threats Detected"

"We found potential threats that might interfere with your installation. Before you continue please fix these issues."

"How do I fix these issues" (Which I am then taken to a screen where I have to pay to have McAfee remotely remove the problem or contact McAfee via phone or online support. Which gives me no number to call. and no online support.

"cancel" or "continue"

If I continue anyway I accept the liscence agreement and select "install". Which then leads me to the next problem (read below).

2.) McAfee will not progress past the screen that reads:

"Please wait while we gather your McAfee software download information. This could take some time depending on the speed of your internet connection."

I have allowed this to run for more than ten hours with no other program running. It does not progress past this screen.

Things to know:

* I have tried to download from both my CD Installation Disc AND from the McAfee web site.

Now I have no one to call or online trouble shoot with, and no security.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ccfischer
Former Member
Message 15 of 16

Re: 2012 Total Protection Installation Problems

Jump to solution

Thank you everyone for your input! I went to my internet options and unchecked some security boxes there (I do not know which ones, but I noticed there was another post suggesting this). Though I will admit that I tried downloading both from the cd and online after doing this, and it did not initially work. I got frustrated and shut down the computer (I've been dealing with this for 4 days), and when I restarted I went back to the website to try to download and it worked.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi ccfisher,

This might generally cause due to 3rd party left overs. Please try running the Removal tool of Kaspersky for Complete removal. Also post the type of Internet Connection that you are using - DSL Broadband / Dialup / Satellite.

Whether you are receiving the above message during Install from CD. If Yes i would recommend Installing from Online account. Login to https://home.mcafee.com and Download Total Protection from there..!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi Selvan,

Correct me if I am incorrect. ( Which I could very well be) for you know best. 

Isn,t the (2012-Total Protection Version) 11.6 ?  With the most current Version being (2014) - 12.8.934 up?

By installing the 2012 Version, would ccfisher automatically be "Upgraded" to the most current Version, after installation? Especially since the Software change in how we recieve our "Engine Versions"  now in the 12.8 Version Opposed to the "Dats" in the 2012 Version.

Just a thought..... Edit: ( Duh !!!)  After further thought, By your recommendation to Download/Install from the "Online Account" should indeed install the most recent Version !!! As long as the Account Subscription is active, of course. Please overlook my above Question...(Need some more Java)

Thank you in Advance,

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/15/14 9:13:48 AM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 16

Jump to solution

Intenet security 2012 is for XP, W7 and Vista - you need to upgrade if you want to install on Windows8 as the 2012 version does not support W8 (it predates it).

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 5 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi ccfischer,

Have you remembered to disable Windows Defender in Windows 8?

In the Control Panel from Windows 7 Viewpoint, click on Windows Defender, click on Tools then click Options. Click on Adminstrator on the left and uncheck Use this program. This will Disable Windows Defender, without the need to remove it.

Once McAfee is installed, Windows Defender can be turned back on.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

Sorry to interrupt but in Windows 8 Windows Defender is not the same as the one that is found in other OS's...it contains an antivirus and is disabled by McAfee for that very reason.  Do not attempt to restart it.  You wouldn't be able to anyway.   It's dangerous to run two antivirus applications together, they can cancel each other out and leave you vulnerable.

Internet Security 2012 is no longer supported.   You need 2013 at least and preferably 2014.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 16

Jump to solution

The first message is probably as mentioned as you have bits of kapersky left over but also will show went you have some of the free antimalware programs installed such as malwarebytes just hit skip the free version runs ok with Mcafee.

As 2012 is not win 8 compatible you have to use the cd to create an account and then install 2013 version from there. 2012 is not compatible with win 8. Customer service can help you there if you cannot do this.

http://service.mcafee.com/CustomerService.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

Sorry to interrupt but in Windows 8 Windows Defender is not the same as the one that is found in other OS's...it contains an antivirus and is disabled by McAfee for that very reason.  Do not attempt to restart it.  You wouldn't be able to anyway.   It's dangerous to run two antivirus applications together, they can cancel each other out and leave you vulnerable.

Internet Security 2012 is no longer supported.   You need 2013 at least and preferably 2014.

Hi Ex_Brit,

Noted for the future. I will probably skip 8 and go to Windows 9. But if Windows 8 already has an Anti-Virus component, then one really doesn't need McAfee installed?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 16

Jump to solution

Well one should do the research as to how good they compare and always remember that McAfee includes a two-way firewall, and other features.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 16

Jump to solution

If I may add my bit of input , It is indeed thoughtful for Microsoft to offer Anti-Spyware- Anti- Virus for their customers/OS. As they always have....Having said all this, even with the "Beefed-up" Windows Defender for Windows 8/8.1.

Speaking for myself exclusively...Would be like taking a "Butter-Knife" to a "Gunfight"..No pun intended.

And as Ex_Brit so kindly mentioned, you have the protection of the "Two-Way" Personal Firewall, with let us not forget the other valuable Features included. As with all things concerned, it is one,s perogative, of course.

One of the reasons McAfee is a "Mapp" partner, is similar to other Anti-Virus Vendors. They report to Microsoft particular "Detections-Exploits" that Microsoft itself may have missed, and then create a definiton for said such to be distributed on "Patch-Tuesday" each month.

Edit:  I might add also, I am "Sticking With" Windows 7 Sp1" as long as possible. Since Windows 8 or 8.1 does not impress me. I,ll pass judgement on Windows 9 when that time comes.....

Kind Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/15/14 4:10:59 PM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community