cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GWE
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

way too many updates

Why in the world can't McAfee update 1-2 times per week?  Every time I use the computer the damn thing is updating again.

Can I restrict the times it is allowed to update.  How about you write it so it does not need to update .  maybe 1x per month is acceptable.  I suffer too big a performance hit with the damn program always needing to update all the time.  Do it right the first time.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: way too many updates

It used to be once a week for virus definitions and even less frequent for general software updates but the situation with malicious software has drastically changed so now it is daily as there are literally thousands of new additions appearing daily.  This was born out of necessity and because other antivirus software updates daily anyway.   McAfee's Enterprise product has always updated daily so they brought the retail one in line with that. 

You can set the interface to notify you first if you wish.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

If there's any notice with a dismiss button showing, dismiss it

Click Updates then on the right Settings.

There you can alter them according to your wishes.  I do not recommend you turn off updates as you will be left exposed within 24 hours plus you will be plagued with popup's reminding you, and those can't be turned off.  It's for your own good.

Updates shouldn't interrupt anything, they are completely silent on my machine, I don't even notice them, and only very occasionally will ask for a reboot, that's usually when the software itself has been updated or changed.   It could be that your machine has fewer resources than mine of course.

(Click to enlarge if necessary)

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/02/12 6:39:55 EST AM
adrianrp
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

I have to say that I am no great fan of McAfee after past and on-going problems with the product.

But, even I have to say that we cannot complain about frequent virus definition updates. My opinion is that McAfee should ship then out as an update when they are ready. If that is daily, or even more frequently, then so be it.

Ex_Brit is correct about physical resources, I do not notice the updates.

GWE
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the quick response!  I set it to download updates but notify me before installing.  Is there really that many (thousands) of malicious software daily?

I guess I did not realize the scope of the problem.

I have a machine from 2002 so I do notice the performance hit.  The 2002 is my newest machine. (sucks being poor)  I will not even go into the hit the other older ones take when updating.

ex_brit I also appreciate you listening to me vent from time to time.  You must be a very patient person!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

Hmmm....not always....lol    😉

Yes the older machines seem not to like the software too much.   Best to only install the basics, virusscan and firewall + siteadvisor and leave it at that.

klauzser
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

McAfee, like other AV programs updates a lot for them to ensure your computer's safety. You should be thankful for that.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community