cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superflyinga
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

vista not working after new update

Today, my laptop automatically updated the Mcafee virus protection. After the update I restarted my computer and things weren't working properly. First of all, my computer is a lot slower than usual, I have no internet connection (wireless), when i try to run a virus scan on mcafee it freezes, when i try opening any program it freezes as well. When i try shutting down my computer it doesn't work and nothing happens.

I got the update on May, 09, 2010 and its DAT 5977

Please help me fix this problem because I have a lot of assignments i need to do for school.

2 Replies
putz0999
Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: vista not working after new update

I'm having the same problem.

My laptop started an auto update which appeared to freeze.  I shut down my laptop after waiting for over 2 hours for the update to complete.  When I rebooted, I had a number of ugly things going on.  No internet, but could see other PC's on my home network.  Laptop auto rebooting every 10-15 minutes.  Windows reporting Malware issues, McAfee reporting problems, but unable to fix.  Unable to shut down the laptop, had to shut down with the power button.

After spending several hours attempting various approaches, I finally did a restore from before the McAfee update and everything started working.  Unfortunately, I didn't shut down the auto updates, and after about 10 minutes, it attempted another update, which put my laptop right back into the same state.

I restored again, shut down auto updates in McAfee, and the laptop is working fine.

At this point, I don't know what to do about updates.  I am leary to perform any updates, manual or auto, for fear of trashing my laptop again.

Whatever is causing this problem does not seem to have any impact to my PC's running XP, only Vista.

Can anyone provide any information regarding this problem??

Putz

newjack
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: vista not working after new update

HEY,I have been haveing some problems myself.Although mine is of a differant nature,i am still waiting for answers.For some reason i think the conclusion made is that most of the problems of late only effect XP which i don`t think is the case.But i am not a computer programer.Anyhow,the only thing i can suggest is to go to the top of this page and clich tech support and load the virtual technician.This will hopefully tell you is everything is in working order and if missing any componants fix them with any luck.When its done it will have a log you can post with an id number.I am sure someone else can help with that.Or you can do an online chat and see if they can fix it.also under useful links at top of this page.Last but not least you can do the old uninstall reinstall.I think you should leave the updates off for now if that is helping,until somebody from Mcafee can answer the dat question.

Good luck Jack

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community