cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davehorne
Former Member
Message 1 of 18

upgrade from 8 to 9, smooth ... but

I turned on the computer this morning and saw that I had to reboot for new updates from McAfee to take effect. This is not a usual occurrence.

(My subscription was bought through Dell and their servers have finally been updated it would seem.)

There were several minor issues with this upgrade. After the initial reboot I had to 'fix' McAfee as my computer was not protected. Minor issue.

I thought all was well and decided to update just for the heck of it. I was then told (yet again) that I had to reboot for the new updates to take effect. Shouldn't this have been taken care of with the new upgrade?

After two reboots and 'fixing' my computer, all now seems just fine. I don't know what's new under the hood, but the program seems the same to me. The only visual difference I noticed was the pop up window telling me I was up to date. I assume there were more important changes made?

DH

[edit ... added later] Well, after a little more looking I managed to find a little glitch. I use Outlook 2007 (under Vista Home Premium, SP1). Normally when I open Outlook 2007 there's a McAfee toolbar that appears. It now does not appear on its own until I just click on Tools \ Options. I don't have to click on anything else, simply clicking on Tools \ Options calls up the McAfee toolbar add in. Wierd.

Outlook 2007 (12.0.6316) SP1 MSO (12.0.6320.5000)
17 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 18

RE: upgrade from 8 to 9, smooth ... but

Open Security Center-> E-mail&IM-> Configure-> Spam Protection is enabled-> Advanced-> E-mail tools bars.

See if this solved thread helps: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=223850&highlight=outlook+toolbar
davehorne
Former Member
Message 3 of 18

Ex-Brit, good talking with you again. I'm only here when I have problems.

Well, I tried _everything_ in that thread and the behavior of the McAfee\Outlook 2007 toolbar\addin is the same.

I'm open to suggestions but I think I tried everything you have to offer.

Thanks, DH
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 18

Click the link for Technical Support FAQ/Search in my signature and uder the Search tab enter outlook toolbar and see if any of the answers there help.
davehorne
Former Member
Message 5 of 18

Ex_Brit, I narrowed the search even further by using 'Outlook 2007 toolbar McAfee Vista' and came across many 'hits' but none specifically addressing my situation.

Am I the only person to have this problem?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 18

I have no idea, I don't use Anti-Spam myself as I rely on an external spam filter server.

I will post a question in our own section.
davehorne
Former Member
Message 7 of 18

Ex_Brit, I suppose I could uninstall everything (McAfee that is) and reinstall it.

If you want to give me the drill for Security Center 9 I'll give that a shot.

Thanks, Dave Horne
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 18

I did ask for help but it seems to be absent for the time being.

The procedure is no different from what we always post:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
davehorne
Former Member
Message 9 of 18

Ex_Brit, I uninstalled McAfee, reinstalled it and I see the same exact glitch.

In order for me to see the McAfee toolbar\add-in in Outlook 2007, I have to first click Tools and then Options. As soon as I click Option, the toolbar magically appears. It's quite possible that if I didn't do that the program would still work in the background to protect me but I don't know that for sure.

I'm not losing any sleep over this but if you stumble onto any information, I"d like to hear it just the same.

Thanks! Dave Horne
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 18

I have asked, hopefully someone will answer.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community