Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LorettaPersello
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

tracking cookies in scan security report; cookies being quarantined

Jump to solution

I don't understand McAfee security report.  My last scan showed 13 cookies. However, when I view security report it shows over 22,800 tracking cookies and they continue to rise. I often delete cookies so don't understand why I have all these tracking cookies in security report. Also I've recently discovered  McAfee quarantining cookies daily. They appear in Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs. This seems to have started in June. I've deleted them from quarantine, but everytime I go online I get more and STILL see over 22.800 tracking cookies in security reoport, and the number keeps rising. What's wrong that has caused McAfee to began quarantining cookies and I must often delete them?  And why do I still see over 22.800 tracking cookies in my security report?  Are these cookies still on my computer?  If so, how do I get them off ? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DoZe
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: tracking cookies in scan security report; cookies being quarantined

Jump to solution

In the security report you see overall statistics since you installed McAfee on your pc , the cookies are removed and are no longer on your pc, thers no way to reset the security report , all the detections , scans , and all the other information will stay there till you remove McAfee or reinstall it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DoZe
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

In the security report you see overall statistics since you installed McAfee on your pc , the cookies are removed and are no longer on your pc, thers no way to reset the security report , all the detections , scans , and all the other information will stay there till you remove McAfee or reinstall it.

LorettaPersello
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

HI DoZe, Thank you very much for reply. I had considered the security report was cumulative, and you have confirmed that. I very much appreciate it. About the quarantine cookies...  McAfee is quarantining all cookies in "potentially unwanted programs". This seems to be something that just began in June. I have been going into Security Center and daily deleting them since I discovered this a couple weeks ago. Deleting them is the right thing to do, right?  McAfee is also quarantining cookies on a friend's pc. Prior to June this never happened. Are you aware of a McAfee change around that time?  It's seems a bit of a pain to have to constantly go into Security Center and delete them. This is something I never before had to do as McAfee never quarantined cookies before. Are you aware of anyone else having this issue? I'd appreciate your imput on this. Thanks again.   

DoZe
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Hey there , sadly i am not aware of any changes done by McAfee regarding this issue ( Maybe some official/moderator or someone who knows can reply and confirm if changes took place in the time period specified by you ).

It's safe to say that deleting the quarantined cookies is the right thing to do (If you won't ever need them of course, and you probably wont) i won't worry to much about deleting them too often tho since the space they use is insignificant so it's not worth the effort to delete them daily ,i think once a month should do the trick.

Now if you'll excuse me imma go and quarantine some cookies is my stomach ! Best of luck,

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

I saw where one of the moderators was going to suggest to McAfee that these should be included in the automatic deletion every thirty days as other parts of the software is programmed to do but if they adopt this for the next version is anyones guess. I delete mine about every 3 or 4 days and this only takes a couple of minutes.

LorettaPersello
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi k3tg, thanks for your reply. Confirming this quarantining cookie issue is widespread assures me my pc is working right. Hopefully a McAfee fix will come soon. Thanks again. 

btrombley
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

What do you feel would be an appropriate solution?  Deleting tracking cookies automatically would be a problem: some users feel cookies shouldn't be removed.  You could leave them in quarantine indefinitely: they aren't doing any harm and take up a minute amount of space.

LorettaPersello
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi Brian, thanks for your imput. This is not my field of expertise so I can't offer a solution. I wrote the post to get community feedback to see if others were having this issue. I discovered several quarantined items during a manual scan early this month which prompted me to check them. They were all cookies dating from this June to that current date. Prior to June this was not an issue. I don't know what McAfee did with them before. I've had McAfee on my pc over 7 years and never saw a cookie quarantined before June. So I assumed something had changed and wrote the post to get feedback regarding it.

callon
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi Brian,

I've been following the discussion about cumulative tracking of cookies and other items in the Security Report.  You asked for solutions so this wouldn't be so confusing.  I would think McAfee would have figured out a solution so we all wouldn't be confused about the viewing the new security report.  I've just recently encountered this same situation, and finally figured it out with Dell computer's customer service.  I've been a long time subscriber to McAfee and and am trying to understand the recently changed software.  My suggestion would be to have McAfee re-design the security report and have line items that say something like: 1) Cumulative cookies since xxx, 2) Recent cookies since last scan, and 3) Cumulative Trojans, Viruses, etc. since xxx, and 4) Recent Trojans, Viruses, etc. since last scan.  This way would make it very clear the total amount cumulated, and also the total amount since the last scan.  It's confusing as listed now, and if someone isn't as familiar with these, they could see at a glance the recent activity and then delve further into the other links and explanations.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community