cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phaeton
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

security center 10 wont install

i installed security center 10 and the installation was only partly sucessful, security center wouldnt open, scan, update etc but site advisor worked.

i uninstalled it and tried again and had the same story, mcafee remote technicians accessed the system and tried several times to remove mcafee and failed, finally telling me to contact my systems vendor (acer)

can anyone help me in installing mcafee?

both CD and downloads fail, MCPR fails to clean the system, there are some mcafee bits left in program files that wont delete,

14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: security center 10 wont install

What is your operating system and service pack and what type, 32 or 64-bit?

How much memory is installed, spare hard drive space and what browser is your default?

Have you tried System Restore to before all this started?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/02/10 3:35:17 EST PM
phaeton
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

my system is vista 32bit with SP2,

4GB ram, 320GB hardrive, 72GB is free browser is IE, not 100% sure on the version.

not tried system restore, i royally screwed an XP system with that once.

also, mcafee virtual technician wont instal, (1303 error)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

There are 2 things you could try.

Reboot and click F8 repeatedly while it boots up and from the menu select "Last known good configuration".

If that fails try going Start/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore & keep your fingers crossed there is a restore point available to before all this started.

If it's successful & if you have McAfee or any protection software installed it will error out because it will no longer be up to date so immediately update it.

phaeton
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

well the system came with mcafee on it, this is the first its been installed as an extra,

there shouldnt be any problems with finding a restore point, i know ive seen it say create a restore point.

my concern is though will it mangle the system? i used it on an old xp comp an it totally wrecked the OS and i had to format the HD

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 15

In my experience there usually isn't a problem with System Restore as long as you right-click the taskbar icon and select Update, straight away after the system is back up again.

There is a procedure McAfee have published regarding this but it involves removing it first.  Something you can't do.

See: http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100328&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777217&turl...

Have you by any chance been using any kind of registry cleaner or optimizer?  If so, is there a restore function on that perhaps?   The reason I ask that is because in my experience they always end up messing up the system and are not worth using.

phaeton
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

well i ran two system retores back to the beginning of this year and no luck, mcafee still fails to install, mcpr still fails to complete, any ideas?

Message was edited by: phaeton on 23/02/10 10:46:35 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 15

Go into IE and then click Help/About and post the info please.

Go into IE Tools/Internet Options/Advanced (assuming IE7 or 😎 and click Reset, then Apply and OK.

OK any UAC prompts that occur and close and reopen IE.

Go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable your add-ons.

Go to Windows Update and update evrything offered using the custom method, including Microsoft Update so that everything on the machine gets updated.

The only updates you can refuse with impunity are unwanted language packs which you can hide, the rest accept.  Also if you have previously hidden any updates that are important install them.

Run the McAfee removal tool linked in Useful Links above.

Go online and run an online malware scan at both of these sites:

http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Let them remove anything they find.

Reboot and try the McAfee install again.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 9 of 15

Hi phaeton,

Can you please let us know the exact error you receive at the time of download and running the MCPR, if possible try to attach a screen shot for the same.

Was the computer infected by malware previously ?

Try performing a windows updates and check whether they complete ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

phaeton
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

IE8     ver 8.0.6001.18882

256bit cipher

update versions 0

MCPR just says removal incomplete, the log is about 5000 lines long and mostly contains messages saying "such and such a file was removed sucessfully" with the odd general fail.

there was no malware on the system as far as i know

i DLed and installed superantispyware as i saw it linked in another post on this forum and ran a full scan and it picked up two tracking cookies.

ive reset IE8 and updated, not sure how to do custom update but it found about 7 updates, about 3 failed and ive just restarted and done them again and it says they succeeded, even thogh the sheld symbol is in orange (not sure if thats normal), gonna restart and try those scanning links

the eset thing found and removed one thing and onecare fails to work.

Message was edited by: phaeton on 23/02/10 14:00:21 CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community